Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all!

Not going to well on getting a new exhaust fitted... the bolts are pretty rusted, and two of them are refusing to budge. So. I need better access! This means removing the crash bars on the battery side - and that means removing part of the front fairing.

Now heres the question! I have removed all the screws I can see for the lhs lower faring (pic attached) ... but it still won't budge, there is a bolt/screw I can't see/get too... wonder if anyone has any ideas? Please don't tell me I have to remove the WHOLE front faring!! :(

Thanks guys!

J

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
imported post

No you don't have to remove the whole fairing. I've had that section off on my SEI several times. I'll be doing this from memory but here goes. There's one near the top of the radiator, twonear thebottom of the rad (one facing foward and one kind of under the turning light pointing up), one in the black air outlet grill on the side, one below that same grill that also holds the chrome spark plug cover and then there is one holding the air vent near your leg and after you take that one off, the little vent section comes off and there's one behind that. How's that for a long sentence? My English prof is spinning in her grave right now.:goofygrin:The turning lights unplug easily. Never had the bars off yet but they didn't look too terrible. I was able to change my header pipes with them on. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies guys, its the fastenings around the air vents I need to take a good look at... I will let you know how I get on! :?

J

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Usually when I run into problems like that I wiggle the part to see where it doesn't wiggle. Normally that's where there's one more fastener. Years ago I spent two hours hard prying on the head of a 1952 Chevy trying to get it off, after much frustration I cleaned out more of the gunk in the head and discovered one more head bolt!:doh:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.. I thought I had got around the problem of removing the crash bars, as I managed to get the old exhaust off in the end. I was happy. But in for a fall... The Motad replacement REQUIRES that I remove the crash bars for fitting - and I STILL haven't managed to remove the lower fairing!!

There is one fastener which I just can't see how I can get to it!! the best way to describe its location is that it appears to be behind the front air input vent (pic attached) SHEESH! any further ideas pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease... :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

That's it Mr.1200! I just had to pull harder ... guess I was being a bit over cautious... :) thanks for that..

Now all I have to do is get the nuts off the manafold studs (which unscrewed instead of the nuts coming off!!) Maybe an hour at 200c in the oven will do the job!

Back soon..

J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.