imported post

... because this is what can happen;

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

Jeez Ben, how did the rider come out of this accident ?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Well he is very lucky. That could have been a right disaster if he hadn't been thrown clear. I always siad that the last place you want to be when a bike goes down is still on it!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Is this the bike I saw posted on GWRRA board last year sometime?

Raymond

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear the rider is ok, I guess the good news, if any, is it will be much easier to check for frame cracks in this position.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Excellent info Redwing. Gold Wings are not for guys who are just starting out driving a motorcycle. Too heavy and too powerful. I totally agree that driver training is a necessary evil for the greater good.

It sure is sad to see that GL upside down.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Yep, Redwing has it right.

Nobody should be on a motorcycle unless they have safety training. It's sad that an 18 year-old here in the states can simply plop the money on the counter (or borrow it) and just ride off. The motorcycle dealers just let it happen and don't seem to care that they allowed that 18 year-old put his life in grave danger.

Greed seems to far outweigh ethics here.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It is a bit better now than when I was a kid. I was 14 when I got my Cushman, just had to pay the $3 and I had a permit. At 16 I took my drivers license test in an old pickup and then hopped on my Triumph 650 which were the wheels I had. Learned to ride it by trial and error, luckily the old bike already had battle scars so the ones I added didn't show all that much. Wouldn't have had to wear a helmet except my father was assigned to Edwards AFB.

Things are a little tighter now. I was surprised when I took my MC performance exam a year ago, didn't have to have one when I last owned bike. Out of 12 of us four failed. (no it wasn't me) Washington State does have subsidized MC training, that's the justification they have for changing more for MC endorsement that my CDL. The problem is that they have a waiting period of several months for a class and that's in the winter. One other oddity is that they used to have more than one class of MC license depending on displacement. Recently they dropped that requirement, so if you want to you can take a Honda 50 and pass your test then jump on a Goldwing. Weird ain't it? The best reason I heard when asking DMV was that a single class license was cheaper and took less paperwork and time. Most of the other reasons given when I asked was, "who knows?", which is the typical bureaucrat answer.

On reflection though, I think people should just hop on and learn. If you're dumb enough to think you don't need any training then take your risk. Should be mandatory for those under legal age to have training, but adults should be able to make up their own minds. Mind you I don't like seat belt and helmet laws either except for kids even though I always use both. Don't need the great nanny government to tell me how to live as long as I'm not hurting someone else.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It really is a tough call on this and I'm glad I'm not a politician because no matter which side you take on this issue you would be on the wrong side.

It's the same with helmet and seat belt laws, should be an adults choice, not the law's mandate.

To me it all boils down to one thing, awareness. It should be law that everyone is told the exactly the risks involved in driving a car or a motorcycle and perhaps view a movie showing all the different consequences that human errors can cause, but, yet something tells me that people would still let pride and denial get in the way and then accidents would still happen anyway.

All I can add is that if you are driving a beautiful GL1800 or any other bike, please be careful with it, because it is one powerful machine that can get you into trouble real fast if you're not paying proper attention.

Ride safe guys and keep your eyes on the road and if you can, take a course on driving a large motorcycle if a Wing is your first bike. G.W.R.R.A. offers them and many local colleges offer these courses as well.

Vic

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

The problem at least here in Canada, is we all pay the medical bills for everyone, no matter how they got hurt. So I feel a minimum of safety mandated by the government, is not an infringement of our rights, it's a small price to pay for free health care (such as it is)But maybe they should have an option, if you don't want to where a helmet, or a seat belt, If you insist on skiing in a clearly prohibited part of the mountain, or driving your dirt bike on private property. Thenyou pay your own medical and rescue costs.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

Illinois has 2 m/c license classes. Class L and M. If you are under 18 you can only have an L which is 150cc or less. Class M is any size bike. Funny thing is I have 76 cb200 that we use to put around on and it wouldnt surprise me is some 150's might actually be quicker.:cooldj:

bob

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Well, when I picked up the Wing from the shop, I had about 15 years experience on about 30 different bikes, which didn't prepare me for the weight, pathetic brakes, ponderous handling and lack of power my pride and joy exhibits!

Nearly 2 years later, I can almost forgive Honda for building it - but only because of the luxury and luggage capacity :D

It's sad to see any bike with the black bits pointing the wrong way (there's a Morini 3.5 locked up to the fence outside work's carpark because a driver reversed out of his spot, straight into the bike :( ) but the idea of wrestling a Wing down the road makes me shudder...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nitrowing wrote:
Well, when I picked up the Wing from the shop, I had about 15 years experience on about 30 different bikes, which didn't prepare me for the weight, pathetic brakes, ponderous handling and lack of power my pride and joy exhibits!
Just curious, why keep it if it's that bad?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.