Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

In the last week with in a 50 mile radius we have had many die on bikes. Last night another one. Most of these have been young car drivers pulling out in front of bikers or older people 70 plus. We really need to be careful. The other ones have been zoom splats. If I count correct I think six dead in two weeks and 12 total crashes. The odds of crashing and living haven't been good as of late. 50/50. During the day I run with all my lights on and rarely go over 60 unless on highway I do the limit. I just don't understand the speed thing to me I am out to relax not to get a rush from speed. One of the splats was from a 20 something boy passing three cars on a curve double yellow line hit guard rail now dead.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Yes we do need to take care andthink no one sees us out there:shock:becouse I don't usually:X

Hate to see the young ones go out like that, you know when your young dieing is a long way from anywhere in your mind.

Ride Safe, Ray:waving:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Part of the problem is that the croch rockets are marketed to the 20 something market and they show that it is cool to go fast and be on the edge. The problem is that the 20 somethings don't have the necessary experience to ride a bike that is that close to the edge and when something happens that they can't handle it usually ends up in tradgedy.

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
imported post

It has been an average year here on Vancouver Island. The cage drivers have taken there share, regretfully, as they do every season. I think the saddest thing is the bike driver who is the author of their own misfortune and we have a guy here in an induced coma because he was rushing off to work, a bit late apparently. He was flying down the surface streets and could not react to a driver pulling out of a side road.

I guess the message to all is, Leave early, drive safe and be aware.

Peace out

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

We just had another brother hit here in Bowser. He was coming south through town, no excessive speed, bright orange bike with 3 headlights on, clear day and a north bound pick up turned left into his lane when he was right there:shock:. The pick up driver was turning into the store parking lot & said "Never even seen the bike".

I just dont understand that. The rider is in Victoria hospital with broken bones but is recovering. All this while my wife was finally in the process of strapping her helmet on for the first time. We heard the crash, I went out to see & now Wendy will not get on the bike.

She said "Trade the bike for a boat", I said NO.

I think bike riders have to pay more attention & drivers have to take driving alot more seriously. Vehicles are a ton or more in weight but alot of people just turn the key & hit the gas without thinking what they are moving around & what kind of damage can be done.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
I think bike riders have to pay more attention & drivers have to take driving alot more seriously. Vehicles are a ton or more in weight but alot of people just turn the key & hit the gas without thinking what they are moving around & what kind of damage can be done.
ignorance is bliss to these kind of folks until they become the next one:X

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

i noticed that when i went back to work, on day shift, up at 4am, i was still more than half asleep while driving my cage. when i came home i told my wife, its no wonder people get killed going to work in the early mornings. it would have been so easy for me to have pulled out in front of a car or bike, cause hell, i was still asleep! needless to say, i only did that shift for one week! im on afternoons now, 330 to midnight. but yes, riding into work, in the early morning, during rush hour, one is definetly upping their risk levels tremendously! :18blue::18blue:keep on wingin! rick

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I was up in Alberta this weekend. Watching the news Saturday eve there was a report of a motorcycle crash that resulted in a fatality. It was a middle age man and not a zoomsplat, but still the local sheriff made public note that motorcycles "are simply death missiles". There was nothing in the story to indicate that the biker was in the wrong here, but there certainly was a quick rush to judgment on bikes in general. Yes, it isn't the safest way to travel and I grieve as much as the next guy when I hear of fatilities, but I don't see how life is secure in general and I tend to accept the risk. I dislike it when anyone in law inforcement sees that as wrong.
All we can do is our part in public awareness. The more cage drivers that are aware of looking for bikers, the safer it will be. The more bikers that are aware of safety, the better off we will all be. Take it easy out there.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I gotta put my two cents in recommending headlight modulators once again! These things really make your bike stand out better to oncoming traffic. Left turning oncoming vehicles kill and injure more bike riders than any other type of collision. If you have a modulator on your many times more likely to be seen. If for no other reason that people might mistake you for an emergency vehicle. I don't condone impersonating a police vehicle but if folks mistake mine for one at least they saw me. Riding lights won't do it, it's the varying light that catches the eye. These things are cheap life insurance and easy to install and make a hell of a lot of sense.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I gotta put my two cents in recommending headlight modulators once again! These things really make your bike stand out better to oncoming traffic. Left turning oncoming vehicles kill and injure more bike riders than any other type of collision. If you have a modulator on your many times more likely to be seen. If for no other reason that people might mistake you for an emergency vehicle. I don't condone impersonating a police vehicle but if folks mistake mine for one at least they saw me. Riding lights won't do it, it's the varying light that catches the eye. These things are cheap life insurance and easy to install and make a hell of a lot of sense.
Ditto! Have one and use it. Idon't care what cagers think about it! The other day a father who had just buried his son, who was killed in the war, went out for a ride to relax and contemplate his son's death. He didn't come home either. Killed on his just purchased cycle.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
imported post

Around here it seems the majority of accidents happen at 2 or 3 in the morning, when the bars close. Nothing worse then mixing alchol with a motorcycle. I cringe when I ride or drive by some of the "biker" or other bars and see motorcycles parked there.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I personally never ride alongside any vehicle, I will either speed up to be in front or slow down to be behind the vehicle in case that vehicle decides to change lanes. Always conscious of drivers blind spots. If I'm approaching a vehicle at a side street or wanting to make a left hand turn, I will always weave the front end from left to right a little bit so those drivers see it. Just trying to be defensive and stay alive.

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
imported post

Had another rider go down on the Island here. I understand he and his missus were coming down Mount Washington and hit some gravel on a curve and went off into a ditch. Driver DOA, passenger in Critical. According to the Police, Speed and the gravel were the cause of this.People just take it easy out there, no need to race towards the end.

My thoughts are with the passenger.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

I ride to work nearly every day...defensive riding is a MUST anymore no matter where you ride. I see folks in their cars reading books & newspapers, putting on makeup, shaving, eating, working on their laptop, texting someone on their cell or talking to someone, correcting children, arguing with their spouse, studying maps, or just being sleepy; everything but doing what they should be doing behind the wheel of a vehicle---paying attention to their driving! It's no wonder why so many bikers get injured/killed. And I'm sure the list of distractions while driving is much longer than I've listed here. This is just the list for this week...and it's only Thursday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.