Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rode a Triumph in the '70's until it got destroyed. I rode jap bikes mostly up until about 2000 when I got my first BSA and fell in love with the brand. Wonderful bikes but it's difficult to switch back and forth between modern bikes and eary British ones because the shifter and brake levers are opposite.

The first time I got the Beezer running twelve years ago I nearly killed myself when the car in front of me stopped. I ended up in the ditch but it made an impression.

Spent the afternoon building a brake lever. Left side brake lever. I hope I don't forget again. It's 80% done to be finished tomorrow. Ionight I started making a wiring harnass.Getting close.I guess I should take it outside to start it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Now I remembered about what I didn't like about my BSA....Yeah I hit the shifter once or several times instead of the brake, OH Yeah what a thrill!!!!!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,666 Posts
imported post

I remember riding one of those idiotic bikes back in the very early 70s. Damn thing down shifted instead of stopping the rear wheel. Ought to be outlawed to build such a contraption :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

A couple of decades ago, I put countless miles on an "Islo" motorcycle, searched the web for images, found this one, mine had the same gas tank, mine was blue and had a standard seat. I don't remember having a problem with the crossed brake/shifter, but again, that was many years ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Buffalowing that reminds me a lot of this one. I found one of these and bought it for $40 in 1975. Got sick as hell riding it in he rain. Can't reember what I did with it when I enlisted. Gave or sold it to a friend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

For many yearsI rode a Norton on the street and raced Japanese and Spanish Bikes.

The Norton not only shifts on the "right" side, the pattern is reversed.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

TominDallas: Yep, that reminds me of my old Islo, same kind of seat, except the rear fender and side cover were very different. I love the look of those old cases, so rounded, mine was never that shinny. Oh, those were the days, I don't know if nowdays I would "get use to" a kick start, specally when troubleshooting an engine.

FeButter: despite riding that thing every day, it's been 21 years since, I can't remember if 1st was up or down, but I do remember it had 4 gears.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

my norton shifts on the left, brakes on the right.
it came from the factory that way.

But then.... it also came with dual disc brakes and an electric starter.
:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
my norton shifts on the left, brakes on the right.
it came from the factory that way.

Made the switch in "75". Mine is a "74". The rear disc was heavier than the drum brake and the electric starter would not turn over a new bike. They refered to it as a kick assist.

You still have to deal with the pattern though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.