Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It is slowing warming on the prairies up here in Canada, which means I'm back discussing GoldWings and how to use these wonderful machinesfor fun. First some history. I purchased my 96GL1500 last June and spent all last summer reading the service manuals and getting to know my bikebut also learning how to ride it, how it feels and responds under different circumstances. This summer I intend to spend time thinking about how to pack the Wing in order to create a playious(?) camping experience. I would like to hear your ideas on what a person can take on his Wing to improve a camping experience. What did you McGuiver together? Was it the 6oz 300Welectric camp stove which heats a can of Cambells hardy soup whilestrumming a mandolin (a nicesmalland light instrument)and sipping on a micky ofJD while gazing at your 8ozone man tentwith a small LED light ablaze running off a 950W gas generatorsitting in your left saddlebag? Tell me your ideas? I'm also planning a road trip in July from south saskatchewan toNevada and would like to know if anyone has camping experience along that route.

Pete

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

My favorite hiking stove is the MSR Whisperlight. You could burn that JD in it.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If you are travelling solo, without a signifigant other half........

1set of undergarments per 4 days away. :shock::cooldevil:

1 credit card.:clapper:

1 mobile phone/cell phone. ( for emergency use only)

1 GPS with bed and breakfast lodgings pre programmed.

If travelling with SOH.......

as above but add additonal underwear. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

My SOH just read this over my shoulder and all she keeps saying is " what about my shoes !!!"

:D

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

You can get one of those pull behind trailers for the 1500. It might hold her shoes:D

Some of them have been listed on here.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

midwing wrote:
My SOH just read this over my shoulder and all she keeps saying is " what about my shoes !!!"

:D
Well for goodness sake midwing, just tell her, that are what her feet are for!!!:doh:

Two feet, two shoes, simple!!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Serious tip now...

If you are intending to use one of those bags, perched up on the trunk rack, do make sure it is only lightly loaded, it is all too easy to overload and cause cracking to the plastic lid.:(

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Good tip about the underwear! Mental note to self!I'm testing a 950W genset with a weight of 30Lbs w/2.5l of unleaded gasand a 5 hr run time at 50% load. Thus400w for 5hrs, 900w for about 2.5hrs.I've modified the exhaust on this unitforin house use when it is not used with the Goldwing. You never know when the power to your house will go out! May as well use the gen set to power lights and the furnance fan. I've mcguivered the exaust to vent outside so I can run it indoors. I've also installed a CO2 detector close to the gen set when it is operating inside my house for safty reasons. In the pic I'm testing 20oz of water to a boilon a500w element stove. The test result is 15mins to a boil. Which would leave me about 300W to run other things in the camp at the same time. If it was dark outside and I was parked at a rest stopon a highwayI couldrun a few lights to assit with evening set up of the camp site ie tent et cetera. My GW is in my neighbours garage so I have not tried to fit the gen set into a side saddle bag but justeyeing it makes me think it just might fit! It exceeds the weight of theside bag but I'm not sure if itis thatmuch over to worry about. I'dhave to ride with it installed to see how it feels. If it doesn't fit I'm thinking somewhere on the trailer. Having 950w of electical for 5hrsfor $2 in gas at 30lbsof weightmakes for a whole lot of comfort in the camp site.I'm testing the gen set right now to make sure it doesn't quit for anyreason over a 4hr period. This gen set was $250CAN at Canadian tire.At your next gas stopjust fill up your gen set at the same time. My next gaget will be a heater for inside the tent. It must not be nomore then 800w. I'm also thinking about which tools would be the most useful to have in the event of aproblem with the GW. How would I fix aflat tire on the side of the highway?

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Should think about a caarbon monoxide (CO) detector rather thatn a co2 monitor, more leathal than co2.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,171 Posts
imported post

I used to carry two 2.5 gal plastic jerry cans in the side bag of a 1200. That would be 5 gallons fuel at 6#/gal or 30 lbs.

Didn't even notice the side load on the 1200. Rode that way for a year until I could replace the gas tank.

I doubt that it will be a problem on the 1500. Just don't go trying to pack in more as the saddle bag is already loaded to more than Honda recommends.

and you need a carbon monoxide detector if that gen set is used inside a closed area, that includes your tent or the house.

EDIT: I see the last part was covered by papabee while I was editing. :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

4ways to deal with that flat tyre issue....

1) pre load the tyre with one of the makes of "goo" that keep the tyre inflated in cases of nails and other small punctures. We have makes like "ultraseal" in the UK.

2) take a small tyre repair kit with you ( as seen on ebay folks!!) which comprises a tool for reaming out the hole, glue and rubber inserts and gas cylinders for re inflation.

3) carry a cannister of the type that injects "goo" through the valve stem and seals the leak. You then drive for a short distance and then self inflate the remainder of the air from your built in compressor, or stop at a garage and pump it up.

4) use cell phone and credit card as mentioned in my previous post and get some other poor schmuk to sort it for you, whilst you camp up for the night.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

A generator? In a tent? In a tent area at night? I'm afraid that if the fumes don't kill you, the other tenters will.....

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

Started tent camping on a motorcycle when I was 17. That was 32 years ago. I still camp, but now I pull an Aspen Classic..........

You dont need a generator. Take a good little MSR wisperlight or equivalent. you can cook or provide heat.

A good tarp, stretched from the top of your bike out at an angle makes a makeshift, lightweight tent. I used to do a lot of back pack camping. the general rule of thumb, if its expected to drop below 5 degrees Fahrenheit, take a tent. warmer than that with no precip expected, just sleeping bags with liners. If if looked like rain or heavy snow, we strung the tarp.

Ditto on the limited amount of clothes. A good LED flashlight and a LED light that either fits on your hat or has a headband comes in real handy for cooking at night or reading a good book before going to sleep.

Tire repair on the road? Plug kit and tiny air compressor that runs off your 12 volt bike battery.

Tools? If you have the stock tool kit or similar, add a pair of channel lock pliers and an adjustable wrench. I also carry an old screw driver that can double as a chisel or prybar. Usually, if you need more tools than those, your not likely to repair the problem on the road anyway.

Oh, carry an assortment of fuses and at least one extra relay. That number three relay on the 1500's would seam to go bad at the most inconvenient times :) You can get one from an autoparts store that works just like the one from Mother Honda, except it only cost about 4 USD.

just my two cents worth....

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

A seasoned traveler said he packed by laying out all the stuff he wanted to take and all of the money. Then he took half of the stuff and twice the money.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Sonny in Indiana wrote:
A good tarp, stretched from the top of your bike out at an angle makes a makeshift, lightweight tent. I used to do a lot of back pack camping. the general rule of thumb, if its expected to drop below 5 degrees Fahrenheit, take a tent. warmer than that with no precip expected, just sleeping bags with liners. If if looked like rain or heavy snow, we strung the tarp.
True, a tarp will protect you adequately....except in a high wind.....or from "mosqueeters" the size of Cessnas! I would rather dance with my ex-wife than camp under a tarp in Williston, N.D.!!!! The mosquitoes there are rapacious!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

My last memory of Williston was a very annoying teenager who kept on doing donuts in his shiny Mustang that Daddy probably paid for.

Didn't notice the skeeters, after all we're from Canada.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

We've camped with our bike trailer (not a tent trailer) for carrying stuff and without it.

I found that if you don't want to carry a tent then a bivy sack works well. We have one that fits a double sleeping bag. http://www.rei.com/search?query=bivy+sacks << here are some examples.
This keeps the wind and skeeters away especially the large vampire variety in Montana/North Dakota/Wisconsin etc. that can fly away with a small dog. ;)

I don't bother with a generator since I typically use either a single burner propane stove or a whisperlite that will burn white gas, kerosene, jet fuel and unleaded gas.

My sleeping bags are heavy duty and I will sometimes take along a fleece liner.

Without the trailer I take along a closed cell foam pad but with the trailer I will take an air mattress. I'm getting to old to sleep on the rocks any more without some additional padding.

Take along some heavy plastic to use as a ground cover to keep the moisture at bay, and can be used to keep the rain off if its not to heavy. If the rain get heavy then use Silverfox's Credit Card :D to get a hotel room!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
A generator? In a tent? In a tent area at night? I'm afraid that if the fumes don't kill you, the other tenters will.....

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
"How to make friends and influence people":cheeky1::cheeky1:

Never found the need for a genny myself, LED torches these days mean batteries last for ages and gas will provide heat and light both.

If you find you are stuck for space and are not keen on towing a trailer then a rack on a tow hitch can be very useful, though should not be overloaded, This would provide good space for a light tent, sleeping bags and or roll mats or other items.

For the very keen, this can accommodate a small cool box instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.