Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

CROSSWINDS suck on this bike !!!! Highway speeds and 25 mph crosswind this bike becomes almost uncontrolable. Just had to get that out.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

artmann wrote:
CROSSWINDS suck on this bike !!!! Highway speeds and 25 mph crosswind this bike becomes almost uncontrolable. Just had to get that out.
Yes.......I agree. The GL1100 feels like one of the worst big bikes I've ever ridden in wind. You've got to find the sweet spot........seems to be around 70 or so......it kind of stables out and doesn't blow around so much.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
imported post

That's due to the large footprint of the bike. Not to mention the windshield. Just slow down a bit andcrab into the wind.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

25mph crosswinds suck on any bike as far as I'm concerned.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I ride in the wind as loose as possible and have little problems with the wind. Only time I hated the wind was our ride across South Dakota on I-90 last year. Constant 40-45 mph wind. I remember the cows were even huddled together to protect themselves from the wind. I asked a local if the cows did that for protection or were they just blown into that position.:D

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

You should try it on a 1974 CB550, two up, tank bag and large waterproof duffel strapped to the back rack. Now thats a hair raiser. (This was across a stretch that could blow rail cars over when the wind really gets up)

James

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
I ride in the wind as loose as possible and have little problems with the wind. Only time I hated the wind was our ride across South Dakota on I-90 last year. Constant 40-45 mph wind. I remember the cows were even huddled together to protect themselves from the wind. I asked a local if the cows did that for protection or were they just blown into that position.:D
The worst wind I have ever ridden was in South Dakota also. It was this past august. We rode the entire state east to west and the wind never let up. I didn't hear anyone say how hard but had to be at least 40 mph.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I don't recall my 1100 being any worse than other touring bikes in cross winds. High winds can be disconcerting if they catch you off guard, but I've gotten to the point were winds don't really bother me that much. Try to loosen up, try not to white knuckle bars.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
imported post

Ya, wind sucks on most bikes we hit some good wind on a fully loaded Maxim 750 with me and the wife. Found the sweet spot but still got blown around in the gusts.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,630 Posts
imported post

+1 on the "Loosen Up". white knuckles will make the bike blow all over the place.

Loosen up, hold the handlebars lightly. When the crosswind hits, just let the bike's wheels track drift over away from where your body is tracking the road. Your body position will stay right where it was. When the crosswind stops, the bike will right itself right back up where it was, with the wheels below your body.

Here in Arizona, like Texas and other plains states, crosswinds are with you almost any day.

I ride on the big slabs at 70 to 85 mph in high cross winds and it does not bother me at all. Not even the big semi-trucks. the bike just leans over and keeps tracking and when the truck is behind you the bike stands up.

Stay loose....

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Excellent information John, even on three wheels it does some interesting effects. We have some strong winds going to Palm Springs over Whitewater Grade, sand storms, etc. I put the belly pan on and it has helped, but it still moves me around for sure. No more lean so it moves me.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yes indeed, handling a bike in the wind is similar to flying a light plane in turbulence or sailing hard on the wind, just go with the flow. Don't try to hold to tight a line, let the bike find it's way. Normally the bike won't move sideways much unless you over control, the usual response of a 'Wing to a gust is to lean into the wind. I've ridden across Wyoming, Nevada, Eastern Washington and Nebraska in strong winds, headwinds, crosswinds on either side and the only nice wind, tailwinds. If one tenses up and tries to fight the bike it becomes a real pain in the butt and very tiring.
Keep the tenseness out of your arms and shoulders, that tends to stiffen up your responses. An easy way to check yourself for tense arms is to let your elbows drop. If they do you were too tense. One other trick is to squeeze the tank with your knees, if your elbows tend to drop you need to relax the arms. It really will make a difference in handling the bike.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
.....I put the belly pan on and it has helped, but it still moves me around for sure. No more lean so it moves me.

I'm convinced belly pans do nothing at all to change the way a GL1800 handles in the wind. I have no expieriance with trikes.

Pullinga trailer does seem to dampen the effect.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Well I forgot to add the rain factor in. yeah I tried to relax and let it flow but tractor trailers storming by an tossing out that mist, crappy visibility and a sincere desire not to be killed out there, I decided to head east for awhile and take a break.I've been on two wheels for almost 40 yrs. and never had that out of control feeling before.
I did however remove the trunk and continued my ride and things got a whole world better, picked the trunk up on the way home. Just needed to make sure it wasn't me. Thanks Folks

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have both a 1981 GL1100 and a 2008 GL1800 and I find that the cross winds on the 1100 are very tough to handle however the 1800 barely seems to be bothered. I don't know why and I aint complaining.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,630 Posts
imported post

artmann wrote:
Well I forgot to add the rain factor in. yeah I tried to relax and let it flow but tractor trailers storming by an tossing out that mist, crappy visibility and a sincere desire not to be killed out there, I decided to head east for awhile and take a break.I've been on two wheels for almost 40 yrs. and never had that out of control feeling before.
I did however remove the trunk and continued my ride and things got a whole world better, picked the trunk up on the way home. Just needed to make sure it wasn't me. Thanks Folks
The "rain factor" changes everything. You no longer have a dependable surface under you. I get a lot more cautious in those conditions.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Can't speak about the GL1100, but the winds never really bothered me on either my old GL1000(Vetter equipped), or my present ride. I just let the bike do it's thing and tip whichever way underneath of me, as I ride the high side of the seat, until the wind either ceases, or changes direction and the bike 'swivels' underneath of me. Just have to learn to relax, let the bike slant to which ever side it wantsand she'll track pretty straight.

When I was on my way home from NASSIR II, I was near Ann Arbour MI,being buffeted by winds gusting up to 65mph, coupled with light rainand I never felt any need to worry, other than to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of me

Now ... coming up extremely quick, from behind,on a pair(or more) of large fast moving semis in a high wind situation can cause extreme buffeting, which does lead to handling 'difficulties' that I learned to be very careful to not repeat. :shock:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I know you don't wanna hear this..........

I know you really don't wanna hear this.......

I know you really, really, really don't wanna hear this.......

but, I'm afraid, you're gonna anyway!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

My sleek Honda ST1300 is the best bike in the wind I've ever ridden, ever....

must be something in the design of the fairing, but wind simply doesn't bother me anymore. I'd ride the thing in a Force Seven, without hesitation or trepidation.

See? I told you that you wouldn't wanna hear it.....!

:cheeky1:

"My ST pleaseth me......!"

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

wax it maybe it will help????? lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.