Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the carbs off my 1977 GL1000 and I have never seen any thing worse. I tried to be carefuf and broke the mount for the float pivot. Carb cleaner in the spray can doesn't seem to touch it. I am trying to clean them on the manifold but dipping the loose parts in the one gallon cleaner can.

The floats will not even pivot on the pin..Boy do I need help

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

If you broke the mount then you'll need a new carb... lots on ebay, but make sure you get one from a '75 to '77... only difference will be the jet sizes, but as long as you're rebuilding with new jets it doesn't matter. In '78 they made the carbs smaller.

The stainless steel float pivot pin only comes out from one direction. Don't try to drift it out from the side that has some very small raised surfaces because you'll break the mount. One side is usually tapered a bit more than the other... this is usually the side you want to push on.

I use a scribe and a very small weight to drift the pin out. If the pin doesn't come out with very gentle tapping, soak it in some cleaningsolvent and try again tomorrow.

While you're in there you might as well do something about the off-idle problem that the '77 had. Go to the http://www.randakks.com/website. He has some great advice for rebuilding GL1000 carbs as well as the off-idle fix.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

The best way to clean cards is the ultrasound. Find a dealer near you who does this. I bought one three years ago and I wish I had gotten it 20 years ago. Got to soak it before you try and remove pins. The ultrasound is the best cure for gummed up carbs

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Jimijetis right. Ultrasound is the business. I broke an exhaust stud in a CB500 once and couldnt get it out (broke right in the head and no way to grip it). I had the head off to do the head gasket and I gave the head to an engineering shop. They used ultra to get the broken stud out. Great job, it shakes anything loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.