Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just got a 1995 1500se and cant get the cruse control to work. When I first turn the key on the idiot lights show cruise on. But on the road that light doesnt come on and the cc does not engage. I tried the trick of pushing out on clutch and brake, didnt help. Any other ideas? Any help appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

Do you have aftermarket brake and clutch levers? Some of those chrome levers don't make good contact with those tiny buttons.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Since you just got the bike, maybe your not all too familiar with it yet. So I'm only checking to be sure.

There are3 buttons for the cruse. One will give you the "Cruse On" light on the dash. Then there is the "Set/Coast" button,,,,, this gives the "Cruse Set" light on the dash.

The other button, is for "Resume and accelerate".

So first ,,,,,,,, you need the "Cruse On",,,,,,,,,, then push the "Cruse Set".

LIke I said,,,,,,,,, you may already know how it works,,,,,, just checking, and trying to help where I can.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I think cruise doesn't work under 30mph so allow for that too. Mine stopped working, and due to the fantastic help from this forum I found it to be a connector which had come off the clutch switch. So just because the switches click you can't assume that's ok. Ideally you need a check with a multimeter across the switch or at least check the connections to them are ok........Steve

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You say the light comes on for the self test when you turn the key on.

There are actually two lights. One for the cruise on/off and one for cruise engaged.

If the cruise on/off light won't activate, then you need to look at the switch itself. It may be dirty or not latching in properly when pushed.

If the light you are talking about is the cruse engaged light, then the above poster's comments apply as well as others.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Hey thanks for all the replies. First winger7 thanks for the sequence. I wa doing that but sure glad you responded so that I know I was doing it right. Thought there might be somthing else to turn on. Dont know if there are aftermarket levers, will check switches. Its the cruise on/off that does not light. Both show on the self test, and I am assuming that the cruise engaged will show if the on/off shows and I have adequate speed.

Next, How do I get to the switches on the handles?

Again thanks guy and gals

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
imported post

2 lights on dash..."CRUISE ON" and "CRUISE SET"

If the "ON" light doesn'tcome on,that could be a fuse or other "power interuption".

If the "SET" light doesn't come on, that is usually associated to a dirty switch or interlock somewhere. Maybe vacuum or defective cable.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Sone other thoughts. When I slightly press the cluch lever I hear a click from the middle of the bike. Is this some type of actuator and I am thinking that it means the switch is good and making contact. Also on the break side I can hear the switch click up by the break handle. Wouldnt all of these switches become useful only when the cruise on/off light work? Also shouldn't the cruise light on/off light come on even if it was a clutch or break switch issue? Could the cruise system be fused? If so where would the fuse be?

Again thanks, thanks,,,thanks

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. The "CRUISE ON" light must light up. If it doesn't, and the bulb is good, you are not getting power to the cruise control system. Check the fuses and connectors.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Guys..........

The ignition/cruise fuse is # 11, a 15-amp fuse.

It provides power to the ignition/cruise relay # 6.

The ignition/cruise relay provides power to the starter/reverse switch and the engine shut-off switch.

If the bike starts and runs good, "it is not the fuse or the relay"...!!!

The engine shut-off switch provides power to the auto cruise switch.

He needs to check the white (input) wire to the auto cruise switch. There should be voltage there....!

If so, then check the black/yellow (output) wire, there should be voltage when the auto cruise switch is activated (pressed in). If no voltage, it is the "auto cruise switch".

If no voltage on the white (input) wire, back up to the engine shut-off switch and check for voltage on the black/white (output) wire. This wire goes to a connector and changes to a white wire en-route to the auto cruise switch.

It pays to check the wiring diagrams rather than just "shooting in the dark" when providing suggestions and diagnosing electrical issues.

Jeez............The micro switches at the clutch and brake levers have absolutely nothing to do with the "cruise on" light not illuminating when the auto cruise switch is activated.

He stated the "cruise on" light did not illuminate.......whats so hard to understand about that?????????

Maybe we need to start reading a little more carefully and understand what we read before making suggestions. Now that would help...........!

When I can't offer good input, I usually don't offer anything, no need in confusing things for someone who is trying to resolve a problem.

By the way, Rudy's comments were "right on".......!

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Sorry Dennis, but everything I posted is absolutely accurate........

I didn't see any other detailed diagnosis of the problem.

But I did see a couple of "incorrect statements".........go figure. How does that help???

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

If none of that is the problem then.......

I couldnt get mine to work and I found a burned fuse. After the on light worked I still had no cuise. So I checked the vacuum line under the right cover to the manifold. I replaced a craked line and perfect cruise ever since.

But follow DB's steps first and that will get you started.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Did your cycle run with the burned fuse and the on light not working? Just curious

·
Premium Member
67,705 Posts
imported post

:doh:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Well it was the on/off switch on the cruise control. Got to it , worked it and shot a little WD40. Works great!!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

OK, so if the "Cruise On" light is on, and the "Cruise Set" light is on, but still no cc, then what do I look for?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

My guess is maybe something to do with vacuum or the vacuum accumulator or the actuator cables. Mel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.