Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wingman59
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Having just purchased my 2006 1800, there are a few minor problems that I need your expertise on. My cruise control will not engage. I have those adjuster wheels on my clutch and brake levers and noticed when I push and hold the brake lever forward the cruise will engage. Is it possible the brake switch is partially engaged so the cruise breaks the connection?

Is there a way to adjust the lever so it stays forward?

Thank you,
Gary :bow:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi there..
I doubt that it has anything to do with your brake lever other than maybe helping the wiring to make contact to the cruise control module.

I would not adjust the brake lever any, but look into your wiring to the cruise control itself.

Bret

·
Premium Member
67,705 Posts
The bushing in you clutch and brake handles need replacement.. Easy job and be sure to lube the new ones

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
The bushing in you clutch and brake handles need replacement.. Easy job and be sure to lube the new ones
Foodman is correct, this is a known issue with the cruise control system. When the bushing in the handles wears it allows one or more of the microswitches to engage preventing the cruise control from setting.

Another problem is with aftermarket handles. Sometimes they are not properly made and cause the switches to activate when they should not.

If you have the original handles and pushing them forward allows the cruise to set then you need to pull then apart and replace the bushing.

If they are after market then either modify the contact points where they hit the switches or put the original oems back in.

Let us know.

Henry

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
having same issue

Are there any tutorials or good explanations on how to change the bushings in the clutch lever. My cruise control keeps disengaging. Ive been able to reengage by pushing lever forward but it is getting harder to keep the cruise engaged.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
The levers come with a press fited bushing in them. Just replace the levers. May want to check the pivot bolts that run thru the levers for wear too even tho that is unlikely. Recommend you remove the switch clusters (I believe a single screw from underneath) before you remove either lever. The mechanism that operates the switches is tight fitting and easy to break if you lever against them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.