Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Whilst driving on the freeway yesterday I've set my cruise contol at 120km/h and after some jerks the bike started to increase its speed way beyond 120km/h. I've disengaged the cruise control once it reached 140km/h.

From experience I could always only cruise at a max speed of about 129km/h. What might be wrong?

How do you service the setup as my Wing is a 1988 model and has got 104k on the clock?

Any assistance will be appreciated. (I am not a "fundi" on the mechanics of the engine)

Thanks

Renier from South Africa

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Renier
Have you tried cleaning the control switches on the handle bar? Possibly the increase button is sticking. Use spray electrical cleaner/lube into each switch and work them a bunch as you spay them several times. Do this to all your switches if you haven't every 6 months to a year.
Hope this helps.
God Bless you.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Most cruise speed variations I have seen are related to a worn out speedo cable since the system relies on it for reference but not usually a runaway up condition so much as variation up and down as you go over bumps.

For low cost it does not take much to replace and I have found if it is doing that, lubing the cable won't help as the inside of the cable sheath is usually worn and loose inside.

There are other things involved as well but this is always where I start. Especially if the cable is old or the speedo needle bounces a little.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
imported post

I have a 88 as well. It will cycle up and down a couple mph in normal usage. But when the outside temp is below 45F it will routinely climb up. I've had it creep up as much as 1pmh for each mile I travel. Kinda strange but the speedometer needle does not wiggle or indicate a bad cable. I've just ignored it so far. Oh yeah, replaced the cruise air filter (which needed it!) but had no affect on this problem.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

PM Mike Hirsh. He had a the same problem and IIRC he traced it toa lack of lubrication of the speedo drive and cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.