Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

MY cruise control sets OK but most of the time the speed will drop 5 mph after setting and releasing the hand grip. sometimes I can hold the hand throttle after setting for about 10 sec and the cruise will not drop the speed. After it drops the speed it will increase the speed back to the speed at where I set it. I also think the cruise control is hunting back and forth because I can feel it in the grip. So is this normal or can it be adjusted, cleaned etc. I have not cleaned the cruise filter.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Pretty standard for the 1500s. If you wait long enough after engaging the cruise it will take over from your hand. What I do and a lot of others is set the cruise then hit the cruise accel button twice, cruise should take over fairly quick from that.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Mine doesn't work all that well either... but a common problem for the oscillation is a speedometer cable that is "winding" then "unwinding".. remove, clean, lube might be a temporary fix.. replacement is not that expensive, and you'll eventually have to anyway..

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

The 1500 cruise control is as complicated and over engineered as the rest of the systems . I have found that holding the throttle for a few seconds after setting the cruise will give the system enough time to " initiate " and the lag and surge you describe will be much less.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Many thanks for the reply. So the gl1500 uses the speed of the bike to adjust the automatic speed control unit. I thought some cruise control's use the motor crank rpm to adjust the speed of the unit? OK Many thanks for the tip on the cable.
RICK

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

The early 15s used the signal from the speedometer, the later ones use engine rpms.

Pull your speedometer cable. clean and lub it and it will likely improve the lag. It did on mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.