Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I mentioned in another post (good news, bad news) that I just bought a 2004 1800 and the cruise "set" button is not engaging. My Honda service manager told me that it could be several things. He wants to start with some kind of switch or something (sorry, I'm not a mechanic) that would be $350.00. He said there was about a 50% chance that that would fix it. Then we would go from there. The bike has an extended warranty until September, so hopefully that will cover it, but if it doesn't I want to find out what my options are. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Before engaging the cruise, try pushing out on the clutch and brake levers and pulling up on the brake. There are three micro switches that disengage the cruise- if any one of the three are not seating tight against the switch, the cruise will not work. I recently had to replace a clutch lever because of worn bushings for this reason. This might not be the problem on a bike with less than 15k on it, but it doesn't cost much to try...

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

It sounds like the service manager doesn't know any more about it than you do. People like him are why most folks on this forum hate to take their bike to the shop. All they want to do is throw money at the problem (your money) and hope it fixs it. If not, then throw some more parts at it.

Try doing what the last post mentioned. Could be one of the handle bar switches not working or the foot brake switch. Another possibility is the set switch itself. Might try shooting some contact cleaner in there and see if that helps.

I would make sure that this would be covered by your warranty before I let the Honda shopwork on it.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

I had the same thing happen to my LTD the cruise was intermittingly quit working. I pin pointed down to the clutch micro switch. Cleaned the switch with contact cleaner and WD-40 works like new :smiler:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies. I agree that I don't think the service manager knows what to do, but if the warranty covers it ... I'll try checking the clutch and brake switches like suggested.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I would rather not take my bike or any of my cars to the stealership for work. I've seen too often that the mechanics don't really know what to do for any of my cars. My old truck has a key to get into the space that has the gas cap in it. The key was on the key ring and it said Fuel on it, and the stealership couldn't figure out how to open it. Now, that being said, If it's under warranty, then there's no reason that you should pay for the work being done nor the parts. Just make sure it's under warranty and that you won't be charged. Then if they mess something up it's their fault not yours and they have to pay for it, not you.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
imported post

None of those switches can wear out @15K miles.

Look for the foot brake switches and make sure the brake lights are not on all the time. Those lower switches (there are two) can get dirtied up pretty easily.

Even if the bike is warranteed, I wouldn't take it to that dealer. They can break a lot of stuff and they surely haven't got your best interest in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
None of those switches can wear out @15K miles.

Look for the foot brake switches and make sure the brake lights are not on all the time. Those lower switches (there are two) can get dirtied up pretty easily.

Even if the bike is warranteed, I wouldn't take it to that dealer. They can break a lot of stuff and they surely haven't got your best interest in mind.
+1

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I just took it for a ride and found that when I push out on the front hand brake it does indeed work! But I have to do it each time I want to set the cruise. How do I get to the switch to clean it? Thanks wingandaprayer and everyone else for the great advice.

·
Administrator
26,533 Posts
imported post

Are the levers stock or aftermarket? Many problems like yours have been caused by aftermarket levers. Cleaning the switch will not help in that case.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I think they may be aftermarket. They were on the bike when I got it. They're chrome.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

you need to find a Honda technician. It sounds like you have found a part replacing mechanic that does not know how the system works. if it was my bike I would spray the switch with WD-40 too clean the switch then spray electrical cleaner to clean the WD-40 off because it attracts dirt

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

the switch is held in place, to the bottom of the handlebar cluster, by a sincle screw from underneath. Caution when slipping the switch out, it's small & plastic. As it operates correctly when you push the brake lever forward, the switch is apparently functional. Just need to adjust so that the brake lever isn't actuating the first (farthest out) of the two switches incorporated into this assembly. May be able to simply loosen the screw and nudge the switch slightly to the rear, or you may have to remove the brake lever and modify the portion that contacts the switches, maybe a slight bend.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks again for all the help. I think I understand what's going on now. I just wish I had more mechanical ability to fix things like this.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
imported post

reckhart54 wrote:
Thanks again for all the help. I think I understand what's going on now. I just wish I had more mechanical ability to fix things like this.
Theeasiest way to fix this problem is to installHonda parts.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

If the return spring is not exerting enough pressure, due to dirt etc., this will keep the lever just from engaging the micro-switch. I wouldn't spend money buying new levers until you've tracked this down. This is not the kind of problem "parts replacers" at dealerships are likely to solve cheaply, because there's no money in cleaning a little dirt (or corrosion) off of something.

I confess to not knowing what provides the return pressure (I'm experiencing the same thing), but if I figure it out I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

The PO gave me the original levers so I'll try to get them back on first.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Just wanted to let everyone know who's interested that my cruise problem was indeed the chrome aftermarket front brake lever. It was interfering with the cruise cutoff switch. I put the originals back on and problem solved. Thanks to the experts on the list who surely saved me some money.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.