Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The cruise control on my 88 will work normal for a while then when I roll off the throttle to disengage it sometimes in won't work again for a while. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

There are 4 interlock switches. One for each handlebar control and 2 for the foot brake. Considering your testimony, I'd look at the throttle/hand brake switch.

The rear brakelight switch is also notorious for sticking in the on position and therefore not letting the cruise set. That is very dangerous, because the brake lights are on all the time.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There is also a throttle closing switch down by the carbs. It might be misadjusted or sticking but is likely the culprit since you're having this problem when you close the throttle. It's better to disengage the cruise with a light press of the clutch or one of the brakes rather than forcing the throttle closed.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Coming in to work today I just used the foot brake to disengage the cruise and had no problem reengaging it. Thanks Bike...and Dennis and Exavid for the quick responses. I think no more throttle roll off disengagement for me!

Will try the hand brake and the clutch just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

On my '88' 1500 I have to push out on the clutch handle. Even though the clutch handle does not seem to move apparently it is just enough to dis-engauge the clutch canceling. I have to do this anytime I want to use the cruise. Not a real problem, just a characteristic of the bike.

Sometimes my cruise control seems to be surging even though there is no change on the speedometer. Any ideas?:praying2:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

You should have just started a new thread for this Rev. But since we're here...check the little brassbushing in the clutch lever. They wear, and when out of round do what yours is doing. You have to remove them to check.

The surging could be caused by a clogged cruise filter.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
imported post

Hi, are they origanal levers or after market chrome ones?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.