imported post

When I press the on off switch on the cruise It won't stay in the on

position. Just wondering what the fix for this is and how hard it

will be?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

Probably just crudded up... First try some contact cleaner, or something like wd-40... I just noticed mine was staying on today, but if I barely touched the button it would go off... So I will be doing the same this weekend as you... :)

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
imported post

I'm having the opposite problem with my emergency flasher button. I press it in and it wants to stay in. I had both right and left side controls all apart the other day to fix the turn signal, starter and flasher switches. When it was apart, the flasher switch worked fine so I didn't remove it. Fixed the other 2 problems & reassembled. Now the *******'s sticking again. Grrrrrrr.
After having the units apart, I would hesitate to squirt stuff inside. You really need to disassemble and properly assess/fix the problem. It's a bunch of independently mounted micro-switches & wiring which I don't think should be bathed in WD40 or the like.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had a mute switch stick, it's the same set up as the 4 way switch. A shot of WD freed it up three years ago and it's still working fine. The problem is all these switches need to be exercised once in a while.

The cruise control not setting or staying set is usually one of the four safety switches. There is one on the clutch lever, one on the brake lever, one on the rear brake and one more down by the carbs that shuts off the cruise if you close the throttle. The usual culprits are dirty switches on the clutch and/or brake lever or worn bushings on the levers. Try pushing outward on those levers just prior to setting the cruise and see if it makes any difference. If it does you've identified your problem. Worn switches can often be kept in business by gluing a small piece of pop can aluminum on the lever where it makes contact with the switch plunger.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

For what it's worth, my cruise control wouldn't always set and it wasn't any of the micro-switches nor the lever bushings but rather the main cruise on-off switch which needed a good clean.

Same story for the mute button on the other side: at one point it was sticking in the on position and it needed a good clean.

Warning to watch for little springs flying all over the place when you take the handlebar switches apart.

Nicholas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.