Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When out on the road using cruise control do you continue to use it when you come to the larger hills or montains? Is it good for the bike? What is recommended for an gl1800?
I read where it is not recommended while driving a car but the weight difference is substantial.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
As long as it is an open road where it is safe to use then it won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Ya, what Dave said.

All cruise control does is give it throttle as needed, and less when not needed.
It won't hurt anything anymore than doing it manually.

Never heard of it being bad for a car either and see know reason it would be.

you know you can also just override the cruise if needed, just leave it on and step on the gas or open the throttle manually if you want more power, then let off when you don't need the extra power and the cruise will resume the correct speed again.
I often do that near the bottom of a hill to speed up more to start up the next hill.
Cruise set to say 65mph and I manually run up to 70mph, then just let cruise take back over later at 65mph again.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I had no idea I would use mine as much as I do but I simply love it and use it on almost every ride, even short errands. We often ride with our kids and I usually end up leading. Neither of their bikes have cruise and I really like being able to keep a constant speed. As far as hills, the ones in Michigan aren't much of a problem for the 1500 so there's not much reason to discontinue using it unless the cages in front can't keep up to the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
My 1500SE will hold a set speed up the passes here in the Pac Northwest with no trouble. 1800 should do the same. Both of our cars will do it too. NEVER heard of negative recommendations using an automobile cruise control in the hills...definitely no mechanical reason not to.

I too use the cc at every opportunity...LOVE it and this is the only motorcycle I've owned that has been equipped with one. Wouldn't want a bike now without it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have used CC on every trip and will continue to do so. Up and down hills especially. I drive predominantly with my left arm so cruise is suited very well for me. I was told by a friend this weekend that it could cause problems in the long run but he never did expand on his thoughts. Probably because he had no facts to back up his thoughts.

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
Ya, what Dave said.

All cruise control does is give it throttle as needed, and less when not needed.
It won't hurt anything anymore than doing it manually.

Never heard of it being bad for a car either and see know reason it would be.

you know you can also just override the cruise if needed, just leave it on and step on the gas or open the throttle manually if you want more power, then let off when you don't need the extra power and the cruise will resume the correct speed again.
I often do that near the bottom of a hill to speed up more to start up the next hill.
Cruise set to say 65mph and I manually run up to 70mph, then just let cruise take back over later at 65mph again.

You don't need to do that on an 1800, it will **** it wide open if need be, which is not often. Once pulling a never ending mountain in Wyoming pulling a trailer into the wind (when are you not into the wind in Wyoming?) it did have it wide open and holding 70mph barely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.