Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have a solution for this problem other than paying $300.oo for new total control unit.

While in reverse I shut the bike off I could not start it again and finally after flicking the button many times it came out and then I could start the bike again. The same for the cruise control.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I am sure taking it apart and cleaning it will fix the problem, and the best method short of replacing it... but that is more work than might be necessary.. I don't know if the 1800 is noteably different that the 1500, but on the 1500 I have found (like several others here) that if you flood it with WD-40 and work it to get it loosened up and then wash it out by squirting it with some contact cleaner, it will often be revived to normal function.. Personally I'd try that before taking it apart, unless I was really needing a project.. 'course the 1800 might be different... I don't have that..

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Sandie brings up a good point. Dirt, grime, all that does get stuck into the small clearance space between the switch and the switch housing. Many times WD-40 or even computer cleaner will clean out the grime and free up the switch, as just on tiny grain of sand can cause them to stick.

But I have had my reverse switch all apart already. My bike is garage kept, and kept very clean. Mine was the internal part of the switch and there is no way spraying anything can get close to the internal workings of the inner switch.

Now my clutch switch has died again, this will make the third one for that. And already the Brake switch on the front has gone out too. Once.

Going Tuesday and get one from the Honda Dealer, I think some of these aftermarket OEM parts are made in less than a quality manner.

Kit

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you for your reply could you please tell me how to get the housing open, so I can try to fix the switch.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Now my clutch switch has died again, this will make the third one for that. And already the Brake switch on the front has gone out too. Once.

Kit
Kit, just how many miles do you have on your bike. I'm looking at 120,000 and have never changed mine, cleaned it the WD40 way twice.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:

Kit
Kit, just how many miles do you have on your bike. I'm looking at 120,000 and have never changed mine, cleaned it the WD40 way twice.
Little over 14,000 have had it right at one year. Switches on the new bikes seem to be not so good. But it is also where you purchase a switch. When the first one went out I got one from an aftermarket OEM parts place. I am convinced it was made very poorly. In fact the new one I got the other day even looks better and is constructed better. I purchased the new one from a much better supplier. Through the little hole in the back of the old switch you could visibly see the contacts did not line up.

Also the reverse switch has stuck once , had to take it all apart, and hey my bike sits in a garage, and is kept clean, so no dirt or grime did it, and the bike was only a few days old, had had it about two weeks when it did that, just a crappy switch.

Could be some of that good ole American craftsmanship:)

Kit

Inside the reverse switch is some kind of light tan grease. It gets very sticky and becomes quite stiff. That is what stops the slider from releasing off the little brass rod in the switch. Cleaning all the gunk out and using a good dielectric grease cures it.

You know I think the light bulb has just came on, you who do have a problem with the cruise or the reverse switch sticking and you know it is clean and not dirt, just the switch, it is that grease that does it, I just bet that a heat gun used carefully and for some time to heat through the switch housing and heat the grease up would allow the slider to release, have not tried that, but I betcha that will do it.

Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.