Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 GL1800, 53,000 miles. The cruise on/off switch sticks. Has been since last year. Read in Wing World how to separate the halfs and spray contact cleaner in it. Works for a few days but I normally don't use the cruise. Any other ideas OR has anyone ever replaced that switch and if so, the difficulty??? I know the replies will be not to use the cruise!!! Thats my next option...
Thanx
Tom

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts
Use the cruise but leave the darned switch on, no reason to ever turn it off.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,282 Posts
+3

NEVER, EVER, turn off the Cruise Control Switch

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Stuck switch

Just read in another forum about using a hair dryer to warm up the switch. The idea being melting the old grease. He continually worked the switch while warming it up. He freed up the reverse switch using this method.

Your results may vary.

Good luck,

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I turn it on as soon as I get a bike and never turn it off.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,282 Posts
I turn it on as soon as I get a bike and never turn it off.
I can't remember ever using the "on off" switch for Cruise Control, unless it was accidentally turned off by mistake.... usually in the dark....
all controls should be backlit.

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't know.
Just wondering if leaving the cruise module /computer powered all the time when riding would cause any damage.
I like leaving it on more than it not working when I need it.

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts
Don't know.
Just wondering if leaving the cruise module /computer powered all the time when riding would cause any damage.
I like leaving it on more than it not working when I need it.
The cruise on my first 1800 was on for over 120,000 miles, the one I have now on for 80,000. It would suit me fine if there was no on/off switch.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,282 Posts
The cruise on my first 1800 was on for over 120,000 miles, the one I have now on for 80,000. It would suit me fine if there was no on/off switch.
I never turn the Cruise Control on/off switch to off,
like Dave, I wish the damn thing was not even there... it should always be on and ready to use.

anything you do out of normal, is going to kick it off.

open the throttle wide open, close the throttle.
tickle the clutch lever, touch a brake.
all of these will turn cruise off.

there just isn't any valid reason for having the on/off switch so close on the handgrip that it can be toggled accidentally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts