Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So my cruise has not worked since I bought the bike back in the spring.

I went through all the micro switches at the brakes, clutch and throttle. Had to adjust the rear brake switch and now that works, but the cruise still will not "set".

Started working through the plug and socket tests....and found the 4th and 5th gear switches giving me about 4 to 6 ohms of resistance when they both should read 0 ohms.

Seems like they are the culprit, but where do I go from here?

The last solenoid test, between pin 13 and 19, gave me 102 ohms. The specs call for about 82 ohms.

Any help is appreciated

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Before stepping further if you suspect the gear switch, you may wanna just disconnect the gear switch, ground 4th gear, use the clutch to start and take a test ride to verify that you can set your cruise... (bike may run a bit wierd since you'll be "lying" to the Engine Control System

Occaisionally, the gear switch can be cleaned, but most often it'll require replacement if bad. It's not a lot of fun to invest time and moeny in something that won't fix your issue, so I'm sugesting the verification of your diagnosis (as above).

All of this assumes that the "CRUISE SET" indicator is illuminating along with the "CRUISE ON" indicator during the bulb-check when the bike if first powered-on... right? ;)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey Satan, Thanks for the tip.

I'm cleaning up right now, getting ready for work, but will be back at it later.

By the way, I was testing the 4 th and 5th gear switches through the plug and socket. How would I ground the fourth or fifth gear switch?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Two things on my mind as I think about the mornings trouble shooting events, as I ignore the pile of work in front of me:

1st. If your Digital Multimeter is asking for new batteries, put some in it. You will probably get more accurate and consistent readings.

2nd. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
I put the bike back together and decided to take it to work.

Hopped on the freeway, and thought What the heck lets try the cruise and see what happens......and then something that has never happened before, happened.

The cruise control engaged.

The cruise "on" and "set" lights had worked in the past but the CC would not hold speed. Today she happily held 70mph, to my surprise, and would accelerate and decelerate with the push of a button.

Loose wire, intermittent connection, I don't know....but it sure was nice.

I'm still interested in testing those gear switches, so if youv'e got the time I'm all ears. :bow:

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

ThirdCoaster414 wrote:
snip... The cruise "on" and "set" lights had worked in the past but the CC would not hold speed. Today she happily held 70mph, to my surprise, and would accelerate and decelerate with the push of a button.

I'm still interested in testing those gear switches, so if youv'e got the time I'm all ears. :bow:
Are you saying the cruise "on" and "set" lights were both on but the bike would not hold speed? If so that sounds more like the vacuum acuator is causing your problem than the electronics to me.

What do you think about that Satan?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bellboy40, after reading your post I realized I had misspoken.

The cruise "on" and "set" lights would come on at start up.

The cruise control "set" light had not worked while trying to engage it until today. I was kind of surprised when I took my finger from the switch and the light came on. A second later I felt the cruise engage.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
ThirdCoaster414 wrote:
snip... The cruise "on" and "set" lights had worked in the past but the CC would not hold speed. Today she happily held 70mph, to my surprise, and would accelerate and decelerate with the push of a button.

Are you saying the cruise "on" and "set" lights were both on but the bike would not hold speed? If so that sounds more like the vacuum acuator is causing your problem than the electronics to me.

What do you think about that Satan?

BellBoy40, sounds about right -- solenoids (including relay)and or the actuator (including linkage).

Third Coaster414 - TTo test - you'd wanna "remove" the Gear position switch from the circuit, then lie to the bike's harness to tell the bike that it's in 4th (or 5th) gear.

The Gear Switch's connector is on the top of the right fan shroud (furthest forward connector on the bottom row... should be Black nylon) -- Unplug the gear switch there. 4th gear is a Red wire with a White stripe... If you ground the bike's side of that connection, the Engine Control and the Cruise control will "think" that you're in 4th so you can test your theory.

One thing that you'll prolly notice as you're working in this group of connectors is that these connectors can get prety nasty (a hot area of the bike with ram-air & raincontamination ... This conector and the one immediately above it (the pulse generators for the ignition) do get cruddy, and it'll be well worth your time to clean both of these as you're there investigating... (this could be where you're picking-up the few ohms of resistance that you're seeing if you've been measuring resistancefrom the Cruise Control's connector that's located under the rear of the seat :) )

Any help?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

[align=left]ThirdCoaster414, ok I understand that the "set" light has not been coming on until now. You may have moved something around and got it working again with your testing. Follow Satan's advice and you will get to the bottom of it. He is very knowledgeable about these bikes and will lead you through it. He has helped me out a couple of times.[/align]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.