Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 SE cruise is working fine except that if i try and use the accel button nothing happens. any ideas on where to start? the switch seems to be working,

also, the bike has been sitting for several years, just finished carb rebuilds and bike running really nice,

thanks in advance

·
Administrator
57,621 Posts
Go to Home Depot and pick up a can of this Plastic Safe lubricant. I have been using it for decades and it works.

if you think the contacts just need to be cleaned, but not lubricated, CRC has this product. I use them both.
I can of this stuff will last you 20 years.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
1998 SE cruise is working fine except that if i try and use the accel button nothing happens. any ideas on where to start? the switch seems to be working,

also, the bike has been sitting for several years, just finished carb rebuilds and bike running really nice,

thanks in advance
I think it is safe to assume that the resume function does not work.. If you apply the brakes you need to reset your speed by using the set button as resume will not work. Is that right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go to Home Depot and pick up a can of this Plastic Safe lubricant. I have been using it for decades and it works.

if you think the contacts just need to be cleaned, but not lubricated, CRC has this product. I use them both.
I can of this stuff will last you 20 years.

I've had problems with some of the cruise and audio switches/buttons sticking and/or not making good contact for years... especially when the outside air temps get lower, like right now.

I always figured there was some kind of "plastic safe" lubricant/contact cleaner stuff but just never took the time to search around for it so thanks for providing links.

I have a 1990 GL1500... does the switch/button housings need to somehow be opened up first to use this stuff or do you just spray it in the gaps around the switches/buttons and then "work" the switches/buttons a bit to get it worked in?

Thanks

·
Administrator
57,621 Posts
the CRC lube is what I use on my Rural Mailbox lock.
Yes, my Rural Mail box, has an inner door with just a small slot for mail, and it has a keylock at the top of that door.
It lasted for a couple of years, and then the lock go stiff.....
One spray of the CRC lube freed it up, and it works Rain or Snow.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
The Resume/Accel switch receives input power (black/yellow wire) from the ON/OFF switch on the right handlebar.

The Resume/Accel switch provides output power (white/blue wire) to the Auto Cruise Control Unit.

Check for power on the (white/blue wire) at this connector while pressing the Resume switch.
The C33, Black “22-pin” connector (with 17 wires) is located under the seat (center rear). It provides power/ground to the Auto Cruise Control Unit.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Resume/Accel switch receives input power (black/yellow wire) from the ON/OFF switch on the right handlebar.

The Resume/Accel switch provides output power (white/blue wire) to the Auto Cruise Control Unit.

Check for power on the (white/blue wire) at this connector while pressing the Resume switch.
The C33, Black “22-pin” connector (with 17 wires) is located under the seat (center rear). It provides power/ground to the Auto Cruise Control Unit.
Thanks, I will check this out tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
I've had problems with some of the cruise and audio switches/buttons sticking and/or not making good contact for years... especially when the outside air temps get lower, like right now.

I always figured there was some kind of "plastic safe" lubricant/contact cleaner stuff but just never took the time to search around for it so thanks for providing links.

I have a 1990 GL1500... does the switch/button housings need to somehow be opened up first to use this stuff or do you just spray it in the gaps around the switches/buttons and then "work" the switches/buttons a bit to get it worked in?

Thanks
Nosvet and Tim,

You can spray it in and around the gaps but it works best if you open the top half of the switch cluster, remove one small screw, remove the switch and spray it directly into the switch contacts. Yep, I have a right switch cluster and just looked at the resume//accel switch....!! You can also probe the "white/blue" output wire without removing the switch....!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts