Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi i have 1200 LTD 1986 on a B plate the cruise control is not working the light comes on so i suspect a sensor as gone thing is there a common sensor that goes or is it just a case of pot luck and where would i be able to buy these senors.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

First thing is to check the brake and clutch switches. 9 times out of 10 these are the cause of the problem. Spray them with WD40 and see if that helps.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Especially the clutch switch, it's the only one that operates in a normally closed position. When you operate the clutch this one opens to kick out the cruise. The two brake switches close to kick out the cruise. You didn't mention, does your instrument panel cruise on and cruise set lights come on?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

All the guys I know who had cruise problems, were all down to the switches. Seems fairly common.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
All the guys I know who had cruise problems, were all down to the switches. Seems fairly common.
I think you are right on that score. WD40 nearly always fixes them too, for a while at least. :waving:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

yes light comes on the panel i will spray the wd40 and get back to let you know

thanks for the help

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the two cruise lights on the panel come on, there's nothing wrong with the switches. The fact that the lights behave normally tends to indicate the control module is functioning. I'd be suspicious of the actuator and it's connectors. One way to check it would be to connect a couple wires to the actuator run them to a voltmeter you can tape to the top of the tank and test drive it. See if you get power to the actuator when the lights are on and work back toward the cruise control module checking connectors and all. You can do it on the centerstand but it's a little risky having the wheel spinning that fast, if it came off the stand the bike might go through a wall or worse. Safest to do it in motion. You also should check the vacuum at the actuator. The control unit only opens and closes the valves for the vacuum source which is the moving force to shift the throttle. A hand vacuum pump applied to the actuator is a good check, apply a little vacuum and apply 12v to the actuator by jumping from the battery and check to see you have no leaks and you can operate the actuator with applied vacuum. It's not unlikely to have a leaky diaphragm or housing. The fact that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.