Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1991 Goldwing 1500 with cruise control. Just recently, it has started taking a very long time to come on. I press the button to start it, and about 20 or 30 minutes later, it finally becomes available. Any ideas?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi glen welcome to the forum sounds like you have a small vacuum leak some were cheque the vaccum tank and all the hoses on the left side of the bike

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

Do you have aftermarket chrome brake and clutch levers? These will sometime wear and cause the micro-switches located under the brake clyinder to not fully engage causing the cruise to not set. Try pushing out on the brake and clutch handlebar levers, if this doesn't work try lifting the foot brake lever while trying to set the cruise, all three of these have safety switches which can cause the cruise not to set properly.

Mine would take a long time to set or would disengage at the slightest bump so I traded out my chrome levers with those from an 1800. The brake lever had started developing a wore spot where it contacted the safety switch. Readjusted the switches and everything works fine now.

·
Premium Member
63,070 Posts
imported post

Glen
Welcome Aboard from California..
Sounds like the on switch has gummed up.. Get some contact cleaner and spray it in and around the cruise on/off switch.. Push it in and out as you spray.. You can turn your key switch to on, wait a couple seconds and the cruise and cruise set lights will go off.. You don't have to start the engine.. This way when you work the switch you can check to see the cruise light come on and off.. You can also use W D 40 as a cleaner.. May take more than one squirt of juice.. This would be the first place I'd check, it's the easiest.........

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Switches sticking somewhere..... after a while, they make contact..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.