Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I went on a run yesterday and my cruise worked on the way there but wouldn't set on the way back. I've checked the switches which all seem fine. The manuel says when you turn on the ignition number 2 relay should click, which it does, it then says when you turn on the cruise number 6 relay should click. I can't hear anything from this relay. The other relays, main beam/ brake lights all give an audible click. Should I assume a broken relay?
Thanks for your time and advice
Jim

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

It should click Jim if it is getting power from the cruise switch. Put a finger on the relay, you might feel it click if you can't hear it.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The Ign/Cruise relay (#6) should click as soon as the key is turned to ON. Easy check is to see if your bike runs (this is, after all, the Ignition & Cruise relay - no worky = no voltage available at the ICU of your 88; This is why I advocate leaving the "Cruise ON" lamp illuminated at all times - it'll show when this relay is not providing power to these systems)

The #6 relay will not energize if the kill-switch is off, if the BAS is not supplying a good ground, if the 30A main fuse is out, if the key is not in the ON position, or if there are issues at the battery. All of these conditions will also leave the ICU unpowered, and your bike will not run.

If you have a good "CRUISE ON" lamp on the dash, relay #6 is functioning and passing voltage to the Cruise unit. I'm not sure what manual you've got there - is it for an '88?

If the bike won't light up the "CRUISE SET" lamp in 4th or 5th gear above 40mph, with the clutch out and brakes not applied, I would suspect that you've got switch issues in the Cruise Cancel side of the circuit (front brake levers, clutch lever, rear mastercylinder,carb-throttle closure ) or an issue wih the speed sensor in the speedo-clock(how is your speedometer? Functioning nominally? no bounce?) Could also be a dirty "Cruise Set" switch there in the right grip as well...

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi, ignition/cruise relay isno 8. no 6 is cruise valve relay. I'm using a clymer manual wich covers 88 - 92 models. It says; with the ignition switched on and the engine stop switch in RUN, press the auto cruise switch. The No6 relay should click when the switch is pressed.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

ah... I'm not sure where my head went... #6 needs all of the the "cruise cancel switches" listed above (brake, throttle, clutch) to be in good order, in the '88 - '89 it serves to cut the power supply to the vacuum solenoids...
... I'm not sure I've seen it activate without the bike being at speed though.
Have you validated the cancel switches? Cruise won't set without them -- most common falures are the hand-lever switches, I've only seen one throtle switch fail.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

you could try to swap relays around as a diagnostic (for the quick-test any of the otehr realys can work - I usually honk the horn, then turn things off and swap with the horn relay - honk again to validate and re-test the offending circuit).

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Problem solved. I swapped relays around as you suggested Satan and they worked where ever they were so I went back to basics and found an intermittentproblem with the clutch switch which I am now sorting.
Many thanks to you allfor all your help and time.
Jim
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Those dirty little switches caused the brake lights to be on all the time on the wifes trike...they are usually the problem for cruise control too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.