Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Taking a western road trip in a couple weeks. Me on Gold wing with daughter #2. Daughter #1 on FJR.

turns out our trip coincides with Sturgis bike week.

We could easily make a pass thru Sturgis mid day. daughters think this is a great idea.

Never been out there and don't know what to expect mid-day in town...

couple questions:

1. will cruising thru town be stop n go or annoyingly congested?

2. will people and behavior in town midday be something I wouldn't want teenage daughters to see?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

1. It will be annoyingly congested, depending upon weather conditions. There are lots and lots of people who just ride through to see and be seen. The main drag where bikes only are allowed is only a couple of blocks though and it's off of the 4 lane road through town.

2. Depends upon what you feel is appropriate for your daughters to see. There is no drinking allowed on the public sidewalks or streets. All drinking of alcoholic beverages has to be on private property. The police also do not tolerate any kind of raucous behavior in public. Heck, park in a no parking zone and your bike will be gone in 20 min, towed away by the police.

No nudity is allowed at all in public, period. Darn close is tolerated (pasties, panties and chaps), but no nudity. Private property is a different story, but you wouldn't/couldn't take your teenage daughters into a bar anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,406 Posts
imported post

Someone who has been there told me it was Sturgis Bike Walk not week. I skipped it for the reasons mentioned by rt66john.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Sturgis during the bike rally is nuts. It is interesting though. Total stop and go, mostly stop. The rally has changed over the years. There are more and more older bike riders there. You might have your daughters exposed to some wild behavior, but nothing they won't run into out there somewhere anyway. If you are in some kind of hurry, skip over it and head to Spearfish and take a beautiful ride up Spearfish Canyon. You might find the ride Through Sturgis an interesting experience though. I like to take the drive up through Sturgis when heading southwest, but I prefer to do that before or after the rally. Too many people is just not my thing. Highway 14 over to 85 in Wyoming is pretty cool. A lot of twistys and too many campers and deer, but pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

A work partner of mine has been going (and collecting pins) for 10 years. I have only been there three times.Last year attendance (he says) was down. They expect it up this year in such a way that they are prepared to shut down the road through town at times during the day when it becomes overcrowded. It is well regulated. You have teenagers, give this some thought, if you don't stop and you are that close, they will always remember, dad wouldn't stop. If you do stop, remember when dad took us to Sturgis. :action:It's no worse than what they hear in school now-a-days.:shock:

·
Ed
117 Posts
imported post

I think if you ride a bike you should go at least one time. I have been there 3 times. Lot of people but it is worth it. It just amazing to see all the bikes. It really is a site:)

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

I haven't been in years (Like 25) but I have sober friends that attend ever year. Like with everything else that big you'll find good and bad. I have an explosive temper and a very large wife so I don't go to save me bond money when some idiot smarts off:) I think that you should at least ride to parking area and walk through just so the girls see another side life:) You may not like it, but you'll hate yourself if you don't see it.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

edgin1601 wrote:
It just amazing to see all the bikes. It really is a site:)
It seems like about half of them pass through here. It's one wave of bikers after another. Some are really well equipped for all the elements (thunderstorms) and some seem to just try to suffer through it without any sort of rain gear at all.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
....well equipped for all the elements (thunderstorms) and some seem to just try to suffer through it without any sort of rain gear at all.
suffer???:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

If you want to see a bunch of bikes, go to bike-night ora charity ride. Sturgis is more about the people and happennings, than the bikes.

Follow this link for 10 minutes, and come back and let us know if you want to take your daughters....

http://images.google.com/images?q=sturgis

EDITED TO ADD:

Make sure to go to your Google preferences (http://images.google.com/preferences?hl=en) and set the "Safe Search" option to "Do not filter my search results"

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I would definitely go through Sturgis while you're out that way. You're going to feel you've missed out on something if you don't go. Riding through the heart of Sturgis

( Main St. ) is not fun. Like someone else here said, people ride down Main St. to see and/or be seen. But, it's only two blocks long. Maybe three ??

There are tons of good riding roads in the surrounding areas such as Deadwood, Spearfish, etc. You'll see TONS of bikes in those areas too but you'll always be moving.

I say definitely go for it even with your daughters. It'sa big show and 99 % of the attendees are simply there for a good time just like at other rallies. ( although more "revealing" for sure ) Nothing more, nothing less.

Do it.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

You will never live it down if you don't take them thru Strugis and at a minimum, park somewhere and walk main street (not worth trying to drive on it or park there, park a few blocks away.

Yes it will be congested, no motels for miles and miles so be prepared for that.The entire state will be crowded with bikes coming and going.

Besides, you will enjoy it too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

thx everyone for input.

we're going to stop there mid-day on the way back. definitely will stay off main street with our bikes.

should be a nice walk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.