Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Cruise valve element. My manuel says to change it at 24,000 miles but it does not tell me where it is or what it is. :?

I have even looked in Clymers and still cannot find it. I know there are some Gurus on here.

Help, please...

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi drifter its located under the left side false tank if you remove the seat then the bolt holding the tank cover you may just pull it out enough to get the old on off otherwise you will have to remove a good bit of plastic to get to it

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

How important is it to change? What does it do?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

It's under the left inner fairing cover. You can either order the part(cheap ~ $2.00) or make your's from a lawnmower air filter.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
How important is it to change? What does it do?
It is not that important to change. If it was, the cruise control on my '99 Gold Wing with 160,000 miles would have croaked by now.

Been riding GL1500's for 18 years and never changed one yet. And I have never had a cruise control problem.

But if you can't sleep at night knowing it has not been changed, I would recommend changing it.

Maybe one of these days if I happen to have the panel off for some other maintenance, I might change it.

I usually perform most maintenance items according to schedule, however the cruise valve element and spark plugs are exceptions.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
...What does it do?
The Cruise Control uses vacuum to control the "draw" or "pull" on a throttle control cable.

Anytime that the vacuum demand is decreased (less thottle) is called by the controller, the vacuum is vented to atmosphere using this filter. So, air drawn into this filter can eventually make its way into the Cruise solenoid or the cruise diaphragm...

... in a few hundred thousand miles.

The real risk is that if the filter clogs and DOES NOT permit air to pass, that the "pull" on your throttle cable will NOT release. In that case you'd have some new minimum throttle, which could be 60MPH in 4th into the back of truck or worse.

I believe that Honda's position on changing the cruise filter is based on the liability of having a "Stuck Throttle" issue. For $2 or a lawn-mower element -- it's a little piece of mind...

(edited - spell check is not my friend :( )

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
DrifterTex wrote:
...What does it do?
The Cruise Control uses vacuum to control the "draw" or "pull" on a throttle control cable.

Anytime that the vacuum demand is decreased (less thottle) is called by the controller, the vacuum is vented to atmosphere using this filter. So, air drawn into this filter can eventually make its way into the Cruise solenoid or the cruise diaphragm...

... in a few hundred thousand miles.

Hey Satan, I haven't got there yet, working on 200,000 miles.

The real risk is that if the filter clogs and DOES NOT permit air to pass, that the "pull" on your throttle cable will NOT release. In that case you'd have some new minimum throttle, which could be 60MPH in 4th into the back of truck or worse.

I believe that Honda's position on changing the cruise filter is based on the liability of having a "Stuck Throttle" issue. For $2 or a lawn-mower element -- it's a little piece of mind...

(edited - spell check is not my friend :( )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.