Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Honda Gl1500SE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody on this forum! I've done a lot of reading on the subject of car tire on the back of a motorcycle. I feel that it is time that I go this direction, I'm just curious to what everyone has purchased here recently to use as their CT? Looked at a few, but need road information from you! Running outdated e-3's currently🤦‍♂️ I just want to get the all around best tire or tires if going double dark but was thinking on a avon bias front still! Thanks so much for the information that is coming my way soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will find several rear tire options. As for the front, a majority use Bridgestone Battle Ax BT45 (being replaced by BT 46). There is a forum page that will have a tone of info. For me I use the BT 45 and Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat on rear.

Darkside Riders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I see you have a GL1500. Not sure where you have been reading but here are a few recent threads regarding your GL1500 and darkside tires.

For a long time, the Austone Taxi Tire was clearly the preferred choice. But import of those ceased and discussions above go into comparison of alternatives.

There have been reports of Avon failures. While the Battleax is not the smoothest ride, it does have good performance and durability.

·
Registered
1999 Honda Gl1500SE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great responses!!! So with the run flat car tire on a 1999 Gl1500, could I find and use a aftermarket tpms???

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Thread on TPMS is a good thing but remember to install metal valve stems. You can also install T stems so you can add air w/o removing the TPMS sensors.

Consider using filtered valve stem cores if you are using balance beads with external TPMS. Never remove the sensors unless you are next to an air compressor in case a bead gets stuck and you lose pressure.

I do not remember a run flat in the correct size for the GL1500. While the GL1500 and GL1800 use the same size front tire (bias ply vs radial), the rear tires are different sizes. The GL1500 is a tight fit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't know if it will work or if there's a size for the 1500, but I've got about 6 or 7k miles on a Pirelli Snow Control Run flat on my 1800 and am very happy with it so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts