Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 86A front tire (Dunlop Elite II) after putting 11000 miles on it has developed some left side cupping. (photo attached). I know some left side cupping is normal according to some research but I also since day one of purchase have found the bike to want to turn right anytime I release the handlebars. I have to lean left quite a bit to keep it tracking straight. Not normal in my opinion.

I have also had a wobble since day one which has continued to increase in frequency from just 25-35 mph to now getting at any speed with minimal road input.It will stop with hand pressure on the bars.

Any ideas on this tire wear, wobble, and tracking? Photo attached.

Thanks, Harry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
imported post

Mine wore on the same side too and I have low speed wobble as well. As for pulling to one side when you let go I wonder if you might have a bad tire or a broken fork spring. Check out this link and when you get to the main page go to links and scroll thru the info. There is a link to tire wear and why certain things happen. http://www.americanmototire.com/

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Replace the tires, most of your problem should go away. You might still have a bit of wobble around 35mph (or maybe not) but it will be minimal and a finger on one bar should stop it.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
imported post

I am going to have dunlop elite III's on my 86 aspy soon and if I remember to I will report on how much better or worse they are comparison to the eliteII's. I have had some of the problems mentioned above so we will what happens.If I don't email me my address is in my profile.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Comparing how different sets of tires behave isn't easy, by the time you get the new ones on you only remember how bad the old ones were at the end of their life. But new tires sure do cure some problems.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the suggestion on new tires. I am working on that now. Just wonder though why the bike wants to track right whenever I let the bars go. That has been happening from day one with even good tires.

Got another problem with the rear air shocks loosing their pressure overnight.I bumped it up for my rider and overnight it went back down three bars. I will have to do some research on that one here. I'm sure someone has posted that question before.

Harry

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sounds like your bike is out of alignment. It should not want to go anyway but straight. In effect you have been steering down the road trying to go straight which makes sense with the cupping on one side. I do not know if shops check alignment, but you might look to see if there are any custom bike builders in your area and they might be able to do it, Old chain driven motorcycles had a way to adjust the rear end as you tightend the chain.... I think on the 1200's you can actually adjust the swing arm and do the same thing. also, there are bearings in the swing arm that might have gone bad.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
Got another problem with the rear air shocks loosing their pressure overnight.I bumped it up for my rider and overnight it went back down three bars. I will have to do some research on that one here. I'm sure someone has posted that question before.
Harry
It could be a leaking valve, airline between the solenoid valve, or the seals on the shock itself. Take a look at the boot on the shock and see if there's any sign oil's been leaking out, that's a good indicator that the shock seal has gone. Soapy water on the lines after pumping up the shocks will locate banjo and airline leaks, if it's a leak in the electrical air valve that's a little harder to prove.

As for alignment problems, I still think it's a tire problem, but you could check the alignment of the wheels. Set the front and rear tire parallel by using a straight edge or string alongthe rear wheelforward past the front wheel. Adjust the front wheel so that the rim's front and rear edge is the same distance from the straight edge. Then do the same on the other side. The wheels should be parallel and there should be no offset, i.e. the center line of the front and rear tire should track in the same place. Plumb the bike with a shim under the center stand until the rear wheel is vertical and check that the front wheel is too.they are in the same plane there shouldn't be any reason for the bike to pull to one side unless there's a heavier load on one side such as stuff in a saddlebag or the rider sitting with more weight on one side or the other.

One more check would be on the front bearings and steering. Slip a jack under the front of the engine casting with the bike on the center stand and raise the front wheel off the ground. Check the steering, if the handlebar moves smoothly with a little drag and has no tendency to pull to one side or another due to head bearings or a control cable or wire pulling it. Try to pull and push (carefully) on the wheel forward and backward and sideways to see if there's any play. With the front wheel on the ground and straddling the bike, hold the front brake and try to rock the bike forward and back, there should be no clunks, or bumps, the forks should compress smoothly and rebound without a sound. Others may have some more ideas but those would cover a lot of ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.