Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does cupping hurt anything on a front tire of a trike? The tire is like new with about 3000 miles on it and I ran it low on air for two weeks before I realized it and that is what caused the cupping.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Does cupping hurt anything on a front tire of a trike? The tire is like new with about 3000 miles on it and I ran it low on air for two weeks before I realized it and that is what caused the cupping.
Thanks
It will effect your handling... especially at slow speeds. On my bike, I can actually feel the bumps in the tire as a roll over them. It's disconcerting... and I don't like it.

It also effect the wheel balance... which in turn effects your ride.

I'd get it re-balanced and see how it feels.

T

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
For me the worst part of a cupped tire on a bike is the uneven wear gets you to the wear bars on the tire quicker on the low side of the cup. Yes, you might feel the scallops on the road and such, but more of an annoyance than anything. If the cupping is pretty even around the tire than balance should be pretty much unaffected, but not a bad idea to have it checked. For safety, watch the low edge of the cup and when it gets near the wear bars, replace it.
It would seem less an issue on a trike than on a two-wheeler. Keep the air up.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
I did the same thing. At least I thought so, until I read about cupping!
Several articles noted under-inflation does not cause cupping!
Biggest reason for cupping is out of balance condition.
Don't know if I buy all that or not!?!
I will say this. I am an avid user of RideOn. Actually forgot to put it in this tire! After the cupping, I did put it in and have had no further worsening of the cupping!
Took my cupping BT45 to my local trike installer. Result was, I'll change it if you want me to but, run 41psi and come back when it wears out!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
The reason for cupping is the fact that the tire has good road adhesion. That stretches the rubber whenever steering occurs. It's inevitable. It's worse on heavy bikes and probably worse on trikes that have a lot higher steering loads and front wheel slippage than a two wheeler. Trikes scrub more in curves since the tires can't lean so they are likely to cup sooner. Different brands and types of tires will cup at more or less mileage.
Cupping per se isn't dangerous. I doubt it will bother a trike as much as a bike since the trike is running on the same area of the tire all the time. As long as the tread is still adequate I'd just run the tire.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
The reason for cupping is the fact that the tire has good road adhesion. That stretches the rubber whenever steering occurs. It's inevitable. It's worse on heavy bikes and probably worse on trikes that have a lot higher steering loads and front wheel slippage than a two wheeler. Trikes scrub more in curves since the tires can't lean so they are likely to cup sooner. Different brands and types of tires will cup at more or less mileage.
Cupping per se isn't dangerous. I doubt it will bother a trike as much as a bike since the trike is running on the same area of the tire all the time. As long as the tread is still adequate I'd just run the tire.
Yup- the front of the tread block 'digs' in, the rear tends to lift due to quirm/distortion (talking front tire under braking) causing un even tread block wear. That was why I commented it shouldn't affect balance too much because it tends to happen fairly evenly around the circumfrence of the tire, worse if the tire was unbalanced while getting worn. But, I am no scientist or engineer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.