Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I need some help I bought a 1990 GL 1500 and the guy that had it before me done a mod on the curb lights that make them come on when the key is turned on. I want to switch it back to they come on when the signal light is turn on, can anyone help me with how to switch it back. Thanks MCFF.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Hi all I need some help I bought a 1990 GL 1500 and the guy that had it before me done a mod on the curb lights that make them come on when the key is turned on. I want to switch it back to they come on when the signal light is turn on, can anyone help me with how to switch it back. Thanks MCFF.
You're right in that the Hondaline option cornering lights in the lower cowl were designed to only come on when the turn signals were activated. Later (1997?) Honda changed the design to full time running lights and also changed from incandescent bulbs to halogen bulbs. Many bikes have an aftermarket kit from Big Bike Parts or Add-On and could have either setup.

The harness for the cornering lights includes a relay. Turn signal powers the trigger side of the relay which switches on the cornering lights. The full time system usually has the same harness but with a jumper wire instead of the relay. But if it's an aftermarket system, there's no telling. I think you will have to pull the cowl off and examine the harness to see if there is an obvious 3-pin connector with a jumper.

·
Administrator
24,644 Posts
If it was done the easiest way the wires that keep the normally closed relays tuned off are clipped. The orange/white for the left and blue/white for the right. The relays are located on the frame down tubes on either side.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Andy - the cornering lights on my '99 were incandescent. I did, however convert them to LED.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Andy - the cornering lights on my '99 were incandescent. I did, however convert them to LED.
Thanks. I had the full time running lights with halogens and changed them to LED as well.

Those funky bulbs are the same ones Honda used in a lot of their off road bike headlights but more interesting, they are the same ones used in my John Deere tractor.

Back to the OP, I did not remember the details of the relay setup. Thanks to DaveO430 for clarifying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts