Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have to admit a lack of familiarity with Irish, English and European measurement systems. I understand mainland Europe has the system invented by the logical Gauls based supposedly on a millionth of the earth's circumference, but what do you guys use in Eire and the land of the Angles?

I'veseen some of you guys from Ireland mentioning miles, ditto for the U.K. I assume that you mean the 5280' statute mile as we call it?

Is there a bit of dichotomy inyour popularly used measures due to recent conversion to metric like I see in Canada. They are officially metric but I see a lot of old measures in B.C. The USA was supposed to change to metric some years ago but the government had to give up, people didn't like the change, it makes us drive too fast. We are changing albeit slowlyin the interest of trade but never by government fiat.:baffled::15red::stumped:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

We just went metric on the roads this year Paul, kmph instead of mph. We've been metric on weights and measurements for years, butmost of the over 40 year olds seem to still measure in feet & inches instead of metric! :?

G

·
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
We just went metric on the roads this year Paul, kmph instead of mph,butmost of the over 40 year olds seem to still measure in feet & inches instead of metric!
Hey FitzAl :waving: Yeah still feet and inches over hereon the Islands. :clapper:

But our speed signs read 80 km/h etc. and not kmph :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
FitzAl wrote:
We just went metric on the roads this year Paul, kmph instead of mph,butmost of the over 40 year olds seem to still measure in feet & inches instead of metric!
Hey FitzAl :waving: Yeah still feet and inches over hereon the Islands. :clapper:
But our speed signs read 80 km/h etc. and not kmph :stumped:
Well, seeing there's only six of you folks over there you can have whatever you want!:whip:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

5.73 Redwing is so stooped over, they can't give him full count.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I heard a rumor that HD guys measure speed by furlongs per fortnight!:cheeky1:

G

·
imported post

exavid wrote:
Well, seeing there's only six of you folks over there you can have whatever you want!
Hey exavid :waving: How the hell do you know the number of people here. :whip: Lots more than six. :stumped:

:crying: :18red: :crying:

G

·
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Stand tall Redwing and be counted as one. Don't let them put you down. LOL
Hey Goldwinger :waving: Yes Sir. :clapper:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
exavid wrote:
Well, seeing there's only six of you folks over there you can have whatever you want!
Hey exavid :waving: How the hell do you know the number of people here. :whip: Lots more than six. :stumped:
I wasn't counting the sheep! And Shep told me!

G

·
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hey exavid :action: I think i will have to talk to wingnut or wexman about the length of a members mesg/post :stumped:and get them to bring in some rule with regard to this. A mesg witheight ornine words should not count as a post. :whip:

:crying: :18red: :crying:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
exavid wrote:
Hey exavid :action: I think i will have to talk to wingnut or wexman about the length of a members mesg/post :stumped:and get them to bring in some rule with regard to this. A mesg witheight ornine words should not count as a post. :whip:
As you may have noticed I tend to be a bit windy on most posts so I should be excused :baffled:eek:r perhap praised when I make a short one!:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Don't make fun of the sheep. At McSorley's Ale House,NYC, they tell me sheep are VERY popular on the islands. All the best to Redwing and the rest of my lost Irish roots.

G

·
imported post

Rich Steinel wrote:
Don't make fun of the sheep, they tell me sheep are VERY popular on the islands. All the best to Redwing and the rest of my lost Irish roots.
Hey Rich Steinel :waving: All the best to you my friend. :clapper:Thats another member for my fan club. :jumper:
:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey Rich Steinel :waving: All the best to you my friend. :clapper:Thats another member for my fan club. :jumper:
No he isn't, :whip:I haven't seen his initiation application or fee or his first months dues. Also he'd have to wait until the membership committee meets.:whip:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.