Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I picked up my 2003 GL1800 from the seller about a month ago; I drove it to the Honda shop in Tallahassee (Powersports) to have them look it over and do the 24k service. It has been a more than a month since I have seen the bike. I have been paying insurance and making payments, but only drove it for 30 minutes. The mechanic keeps telling me that he’s going to move it up the list. Now today I called and he wasn’t even sure when it could be done andfor the third time he says“I’ll call you back…” AAGGHHH. Trying to find a competent Honda shop inTallahasseeis like . . . , well like nothing I have ever experienced.

Powersports has a sign in their shop that says "labor$65 per haft-hour", so are they saying that can’t hire enough people to fix these bikes?? I have a degree in Finance, Accounting and an MBA, but I would happily quit my job today and work as a mechanic for $25 an hour.

And yes, if this was something I could repair myself I would. Almost makes me want to buy a HD, at least i could repair one of those.

If anybody knows of a competent Honda dealer in North Florida, please, Please let me know.

Thanks

:)lash:eek:k, rant over, nothing to see here, move along, thanks)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I don't know if the "PowerSports" people are affiliated or not, but they maintain about the same schedule and staffing here. I had to have a tire mounted and they wrote it up and had me bring it in before they told me the guy who does tires was on vacation and when he comes back he's got a back log of 2 to 3 weeks........... I said you have got to be kidding me? One guy that does tires and thats it?? What kind of shop is this. I got my tire back and took it to the local Harley shop.......Thats a story in itself.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

My opinion, I'd pick up my bike and tell that dealer to get bent. They obviously don't want your business. Buy a repair manual and do the work yourself. If you were able to wrench on your Harley then you will likely be able to work on your Wing too. I had never worked on a Goldwing either until I bought my first one. With the help of this forum and a good shop manual I've never had a shop do any needed work except to mount tires for me. You'll save a pile of cash doing the work yourself too, and that savings can better be used for gas to put some miles on your Wing. :action:

From what I found on a quick search, the 24K service is just changing all the fluids, spark plugs, air cleaner and inspecting your brake pads. Probably one of the hardest parts of this is changing the air cleaner, because a bunch of plastics have to come off to get to it.

John

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
My opinion, I'd pick up my bike and tell that dealer to get bent.  They obviously don't want your business.  Buy a repair manual and do the work yourself.  If you were able to wrench on your Harley then you will likely be able to work on your Wing too.  I had never worked on a Goldwing either until I bought my first one.  With the help of this forum and a good shop manual I've never had a shop do any needed work except to mount tires for me.  You'll save a pile of cash doing the work yourself too, and that savings can better be used for gas to put some miles on your Wing. :action:

From what I found on a quick search, the 24K service is just changing all the fluids, spark plugs, air cleaner and inspecting your brake pads.  Probably one of the hardest parts of this is changing the air cleaner, because a bunch of plastics have to come off to get to it.

John
Well said Jon,
Buy the service manual and cosy up to your new bike and learn what is required. The best part of motorcycling is working on the bike. Well..........almost anyway. But seriously if you take the manual and study that part being worked on and ask the forum for advice when required, you can not go wrong. The benefits are many.

Ned

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Take your business elsewhere...

Mismanaged stealerships are a real "issue" with me.

I am a pretty easy customer: I know what I want. Just give me reasonable access to OEM parts at competitive prices. I like to by helmets and gear I can see and handle. If you offer service, remember that it is just that... SERVICE. If you are kind and considerate... and don't treat me like a complete moron, maybe, just maybe I'll buy a bike from you.

I have been looking at the new wings lately.

That blue one is awfully purty... and awfully expensive.

But it's blue... and therefore I want one.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

P.S. to all above, I agree...

Do not be intimidated by the Tupperware... getting to know your bike... personally is a sweet, sweet thing. It's like having a new girlfriend...

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I say go get the bike, bring her nome and do it yourself. You can post just about any question about a Goldwing on this forum and have answers in a short time. There are even guys that will send you their phone number so you can call and they will talk you through doing some of the work. This forum is one of the greatest resources a goldwing owner can have, use it, we are all glad to be of help.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

ColSki wrote:
and we won't charge you $65 per half hour either.......!!!
It was like $35 for 15 minutes over the phone wasn't it?

Much cheaper.....".:ROFL:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

$79.00 per shop hour at a dealer here in CenTex...

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Your bike been there a month .Not me id of gone and picked it up after a few days hope you know what the milage was when it went in

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

When my daughter was sixteen and starting to drive, I taught her how to change oil and change a tire. She went and got two college degrees. Learn how to do routine stuff yourself on a Sunday instead of watching NFL. Did learning how to change oil become a factor in her becoming a producer rather than a sucker? I don't know. She's a middle aged mom who takes care of chit. Don't be afraid to pick up a wrench and turn some bolts. Read some books and Google some stuff. The dealer doesn't have to do that kind of stuff. You can do it yerself and save several hundred.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

You could use that money to bring the bike up here and I'll help you free of charge, well for labor any way. You'll still have to buy the fluids and stuff. :) It really is easy to work on, in fact, the hardest parts I've run into with working on my 1800 has been getting the Tupperware off. I've done brakes, tires, fluids, etc. I even had the exhaust off for a little bit to clean some of the crevices back there. PM me if your interested. :)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

TominDallas wrote:
Learn how to do routine stuff yourself on a Sunday instead of watching NFL.

:thumbsdown:Don't stop watching football. Just put a TV in the garage!!! Just ran cable out there myself and completley finished the drywall and 3 coats of mud. Nice cabinets and black counter top.

I hat the 4 Honda shops near me. One in Delano, MN is not bad, but an hour drive at least. I do what I feel comfortable with and take the rest to a very experienced small shop. The guys race bikes and REALLT know their stuff. They will work on any bike.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

There is a certain amount of pride in doing a job that was a challenge and one that you wasn't sure you were up to. Also, there isn't a dealer around that will take the pains and the time with your bike that you would.

I am from the back woods of kentucky. I am about 90 miles from one dealer(powersports) and about 75 miles from another. I have learned to do routain maintance myself, and get a lot of pride out of it because I aint exactly a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Well White Trash, Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish. I had no idea what the hell I was doing working on my stinking Yamaha fourty years ago. Muscle memory. Brain memory. Werk on it yerself and be happy. Learn to fix schitt.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

as an accountant, are keeping a tally of how much they owe you for down time ? I mean really your loosing riding time that can not be replaced . Do they not make appointments so you can enjoy the bike till your slot is open ? You seriously need a better shop . Sorry they have taken your new bike hostage . You must have met some law students while you were working on your degrees . You just might need one .

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

F-that. Pick it up and make an appointment and drive a hundred miles to a better place and wait for it. Or pick it up and do it yourself. Don't wait another day.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I’m going to have the dealer put on the new tires ($289 for f&R) then take the bike to a better shop, I hope.

I know a few of you would jack it up in your garage and rip the headers off her, but I prefer to leave that to a better trained person. I have change fluids, alternator and tires, but there are just some jobs best left to more experience and better trained mechanics. Even though they’re seem to be hard to find.

I remember my dad had a large intricate clock stash in our basement when I was very young. Being a very inquisitive and industrial person I proceeded to disassemble and reassemble the clock. I was very happy with my work because the clock still worked, even though I found that I had a few extra parts left over.

Later I found out that the clock was for my Dad’s work. He was a 6-foot plus Deputy Police Chief who was going to use the $700 precise movement clock in a time study program.

He took the clock and the extra pieces to a watch shop to have it fixed. He never yelled at me about it and never brought it up. So, I’m not concern that I could not fixed the bike, if I wanted to, I just want it done faster and cheaper then I know it would take me.

I’ll just putt around on my shadow ACE until the better mechanic investigates that very load ticking/thumping sound its making.

I do think it is a shame that the Honda Corporation does not take a greater interest in the shops that carries and repairs their bikes. It would be nice to see some kind of quality control over these repair shops.

Thanks for helping me decide.

Semper fi

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.