Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I thought it would be fun to see some of the make shift tools we've made to get the job done because we're too cheap or too lazy to go out and buy it.

This timing window I made from a oil filler cap cut in half and glued clear plastic to the inside.

I use this bent over screw driver ALOT.

This is a used to was 1 inch (?) 6 point socket, sliced and ground to get the clutch center nut off and on.

And this is my latest made tonight, used to compress the valve springs.
btw, 1/4" poly rope in the plug hole works like a charm to keep the valves seated.

I might have a few others but these are the most used lately.

LOL, I just noticed that when I posed for that shot the rope was in the other plug hole.
Uh, I meant to do that.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Good One Dan,

We all just love tips like this.

And I just bet your tips and photo's get collected by most of us.

Thats what we call Injun newity.... Get it?

Yea, You got it in spades.

I got a couple of tools I made, Now I gotta dig them up and take pictures.

C Ya Pal.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

I'm all for saving money. Got any extra rope.... :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
imported post

Bottom view. I broached two 1/2" squares so that I can use the socket straight on or use the offset hole and put my allen wrench through the center hole.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

heated and bent 10mm wrench cut a slot in it to take off the throttle cables.JB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

NOW That's a good one..I wish I had thought of that. I have routed my cables outside the frame so it's not an issue anymore..but gee I wish I had one when I started out

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I've forgotten exactly what I made these for...for motorcycles I'm sure...I just remembered what the T-handle spanner is for...to adjust the clutch tension nuts on BSA ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Great innovations Dan et al. Dan, I had a great chuckle over your rope stuffed in to wrong hole.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Some very ingenius tools there guys, well done.
A simple one from me, to knock the GL1500steering lowerbearingouter raceout of the tube. The bend and filed out notch in the baris to reach around the base where the bearing sits. You can use a long (well over a foot long) bent screwdriver,but they weren't growing on trees that day and nobody was volunteering to loan me one knowing it would very likelybe ruined.
For me, a piece of scrap 8mm bar was simple andworked perfectly.

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i would say about 1/8th of my tool box are custom tools ive had the tool guys oogle at my ingenuity but the best rigged up tool has to be the cheater bar i mean come on its a classic

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Working as an equipment mechanic for over 30 some odd years, you have to either build or buy special tools to work on the various types of equipment you encounter....From cutting wrenches to bending them..Sometimes necessity was the mother of invention...Some things worked really well, others could cause you many many busted knuckles...:shock:....One of my fellow mechanics busted his knuckles bad enough to have to go to first aid....When the safety man found out it was caused by a "home made" tool, he came to the shop and made us open every drawer in our tool boxes.....Any tool that had been heated, welded on, etc we had to throw in this box he brought with him....Then all of our "special tools" were thrown in the salvage yard....It only took us about two weeks to remake all of our "specialty tools" again....Only this time we hid them where the safety man couldn't find them.....Funny but I have had tools break on me and either took them back to Sears, Snap-On, Mac. Proto, Cromwell etc, But I never had any of my "special tools" break??????....

One last thing on our safety man....I took several of my "home made" stuff to this chrome shop had them chromed and our "safety guy" never confiscated any of those tools....He thought they were factory made tools....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:....Like I said necessity is the mother of invention....When I left there I sold all my "specialty tools" to a new mechanic, he was going to need them.....Where would I need now a 5 foot long 2in combination wrench?????

Claude.....

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

My Grandfather and his brother were tool and diemakers for Western electric, back before, during, and after the depression. When they needed tools, they made their own. All of them have the date made and their initials stamped on them.

Fast forward to now, and they are family heirlooms.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

All's I got is a spent 22 shell with one side smashed a bit and a wire soldered on it for adjusting the air mixture screw on my Honda Shadow :)

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Wish I could contribute to such a useful thread. But I can't even draw a straight line with Photoshop! My dad, however, after he retired from the ministry, started diddling around with antique clocks. He never purchased a special tool to work with the intricacies of these old clocks. He always made his own out of the existing tools he had in his garage. Pretty soon, he received a visitor. It was the regional rep from Seth Thomas. Seems my dad had become so well known that they wanted him to become their regional repair rep. He turned it down because he just enjoyed doing it for the local people in South Alabama.

Oh...almost forgot.....I did make one little "tool" to seat my fork caps back on. If you wanna call it a tool. But it worked for me

Again, excellent thread!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.