Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
$10 Valve spring compressor

I bought a $9 c clamp, and scrounged around for a socket. The one I chose was one for square nuts, I dont think I have ever used it in the 15 years since I got that set.

I cut parallel slots that followed the flats, got rid of those pieces to make a slot for removing the keepers. Welded it to the pad on the clamp, and it works just fine...

·
Registered
22 Posts
G'day to All.

I have made many tools but have not got photos of them on my work computer, so you will have to wait until I get home for those.

I made up a workbench trolley to help spin a GL-1000 engine around at ease.
Made a bodgie looking holder to keep the flywheel still whilst undoing or torqueing up clutch or alternator flywheel nuts.
Made an adjustable lifting beam to keep the engine level whilst lifting it.
Made a 3 gang chain to lower the engine cases level.
Made a tin-can piston ring compressor.
and a larger floor sized engine trolley that can also have the exhaust headers on.

For fun here is my hammer collection. :smile2:

Regards, Peter.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like this thread, if I don't own it and can't get it in less than a day, I will make it. I have a distaste for waiting. Paying for things I can make makes me nauseous.

Here is my custom adapter for my homemade manometer. My first GW specific homemade tool. Also a pic of my manometer. The manometer is someone else's idea, the adapters are all me. As soon as I can start a thread I'll post up the "how-to" (future sticky) for the adapter. Mind blowing stuff, shockingly simple.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't get it. What are the straws for? What is happening in that pic?
If you do not use the straw's during spoke inserting in the rim, randomly spokes fall out the rimholes on the opposite side and if you arrest them with a nipple you can not/hardly move the hub to enable inserting spokes etc...........you have limited space than......
Actually, you can (only) fully understand/confirm the help of the straws if you ever struggled in (re)spoking your wheels........

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lift post arm connectors for quads, bikes, and anything else you feel like.

$30 welding cart. Cut a hole in the top two shelves for the tank to drop down into. Plasma cutter now lives on the center shelf too.

Sortof a tool. Use this to push trailers around my buddy's property. Added an extra crossbar to the brush guard, then the ball and mount attaches with two bolts.

My favorite tool so far: Engine run stand.

·
Administrator
57,506 Posts
TonimusMaximus

you have a LOT of good ideas around your shop.

I like all of them, the linking bars on the car lift is a terrific idea....
you didn't say, but I do imagine that you have studs welded to the bottom side of the links, and holes in the lift arms?? to prevent the bars from falling off?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like all of them, the linking bars on the car lift is a terrific idea....
you didn't say, but I do imagine that you have studs welded to the bottom side of the links, and holes in the lift arms?? to prevent the bars from falling off?
You are correct, sir. I got some appropriately size steel pipe, and welded them to the link bars. Added a TON of stability using both posts to lift a bike. And for added security, we toss a ratchet strap up and over the seat, from one lift arm to one on the other side. Makes it super stable. Made doing a clutch on a buddy's V-Star and my other buddy's Raptor a lot easier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, Rudolph. Is this stuff painted, or polished and clear coated?
At first the existing clearcoat was removed by chemicals....
Then it is "medium" polished (by a craftsman), "medium / matt" as the OEM execution is.........so NOT "mirrorlike" !!!.......then 2-3 coats of 2 component clearcoat (rattlecan).....

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.