Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

As a former parts mgr. for a Honda dealer, my suggestion, especially for the older Wings, is to find a competent independent mechanic, buy parts online and avoid the dealer. I guess I'm lucky. I do the maintenance on my 81 1100, ride the piss out of it and nothing ever breaks.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

George 56-81 wrote:
As a former parts mgr. for a Honda dealer, my suggestion, especially for the older Wings, is to find a competent independent mechanic, buy parts online and avoid the dealer. I guess I'm lucky. I do the maintenance on my 81 1100, ride the piss out of it and nothing ever breaks.
I totally agree with this. I was a Parts Manager for 25 years. Do Truck Parts now.
I do have to agree with the level of service at most dealerships has gone way downhill
in the past 10 years. Don't' know if it the attitude of the "New Generation" of the help they hire or what it is.
I go the the dealer, armed with my own part numbers. I do all the service on my 1800 that I can handle. What I can't do goes to the local guy here in the area that is a Honda Goldwing Certified Mechanic. He quit the shop he was working at because of the problems many of us are discussing here. Also he can make more money working a regular job and wrenching on the side. Plus his labor rate is $35.00 per hour
Dealers don't want to pay their help any worth while wage. I used to make a salary, plus commission on the gross profit. Nobody wants to do that anymore in my area.
I moved from Kansas City making $45,000+ per year to Ohio and the Dealers I applied at wanted to $9.00 starting for 25 years of experience.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.