Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Posted over on the Naked wings site too..just Fyi..

I have noticed that the lower side panels on my GL1100 81 false gas tank get VERY hot more on the electronics side than the reservoir side but both get almost too hot to touch...And I noticed that the very front of the same area is very cool as the fairing forces a lot of air up past the front of the false tank, I assume on a naked wing it would be much cooler too due to air flow over the front of the tank.

SO why not cut a few louvers into the front of the false tank to suck some of that cooler air through the side panel area???

It seems like I could just cut a 2 or 3" slit..bend it out a bit so it';s still facing down a bit, to keep rain out, and I'd get some air flow.

What do you think??? Anyone done this? Seems like it would help the electronics stay cooler..just worried about rain getting in there.

All comments appreciated..

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

IF I follow your thoughts , It would allow some cooler air to enter the front edge of the false tank . I dont with the fairing much rain would enter . The hot air exiting might toast your thighs a bit more as it exits at the rear . Of course this all is if there is enough forced air behind the fairing to cause this flow . I havent paid much attention to air flow from under the fairing , I suppose there would be some flow up past the forks. It only stands to reason cooler electronics last longer.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

The fake tank on an 1100 is fiberglass. So I'm not sure what yer planning on bending.

I too have though about vents of some sort in the fake tank.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
The fake tank on an 1100 is fiberglass
Where'd you get that aftermarket add-on BW? I've never seen a fiberglass tank shell on an 1100.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yeah, my tank is metal..the 1000's are fiberglass well the wings are, the side panels.

There is a lot of flow up under the front of the fairing by the forks..you can reach down while riding and feel it.

I jsut hate to screw up a good tank if it isn't going to help.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Not sure...mine is fiberglass, was on the bike when I got it. The lids are metal but the shell itself is fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

You might consider running a little duct work from the air cleaner intake over to the regulator. Some of that aluminum carb choke heater hose used on cars might do the trick.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Not sure...mine is fiberglass, was on the bike when I got it. The lids are metal but the shell itself is fiberglass.
Really? Wow...Someone put some work into it then. LOL

Next time I'm over in Wisconsin, I'll have to stop by and take a look...But mainly because I've been considering making molds of my front fender and doing a carbon fiber backed fiberglass version that won't vibrate the paint off like the stock one does.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Broke Winger wrote:
Really? Wow...Someone put some work into it then. LOL

Next time I'm over in Wisconsin, I'll have to stop by and take a look...But mainly because I've been considering making molds of my front fender and doing a carbon fiber backed fiberglass version that won't vibrate the paint off like the stock one does.
Lemme know, I just happen to know someone in the CF molding business...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.