Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The 99 1500 SE I purchased in March came with a tall tulsa windshield. Being 6'4" I have never had a bike that had a windshield that was higher than my head while sitting on the bike. While I found the tall windshield comfortable to ride behind I found that my preference was still to be able to see over the top.

I got up the nerve and recruted my son to help me cutoff about five inches so that the top of the windshield sat about even with the tip of my nose. The job went great and the windshield looked awsome. Life was great and I was very happy with thelook of the modified tulsa until my wife and I went for our first ride after cutting down thewindshield and found that due to the slope of the tulsa the wind was now directed pretty much right into my forehead and swept around me and hit my wife more than ever. After three rides we found each ride the same. It was like riding in a wind storm even on a calm day,

It was actually bad enough that my wife Deb who loves to ride with me told me to buy a new windshield.

I ordered a new Memphis shade windshield which should be here in a few days.

Has any one else cut down a tall tulsa? If so I hope the results were favorable for you. Due to the slope of the tulsa I would not recomend cutting one down.

Live and learn

Happy Trails

Slim

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Slimpickins wrote:
Life was great and I was very happy with thelook of the modified tulsa until my wife and I went for our first ride after cutting down thewindshield and found that due to the slope of the tulsa the wind was now directed pretty much right into my forehead and swept around me and hit my wife more than ever.
Don't you hate it when that happens?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Did you try adjusting the height of the screen, or do you lose the adjustment function with a Tulsa?

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Did you try adjusting the height of the screen, or do you lose the adjustment function with a Tulsa?
That's the first thing I tried. It helped a little but actually put the top of the windshield right in my line of vision. Kind of where your always moving your head up and down a little to look over or through the windshield.

Thanks for the thought.

Happy trails

Slim

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Having only experienced one windshield, and I think it's a stock oem windshield, I would not be able to comment on your experience. However, I do like to be able to see over the windshield as well and I find at that setting, there is a bit of wind buffeting and a bug or two that make it to my forehead. I Kind of enjoy the wind though. It's part of riding for me.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I need to cut down my screen. I ride in all weather so when it rains I am looking through two wet screens instead of just the one on the helmet. That, and the top is right in my field of vision, so I look like a damn gopher, bobbing my head up and down to see. :0

James

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

clarkjh wrote:
I need to cut down my screen.
I was actually surprised how easy it actually is to cut down a windshield. Once I got the supplies together it was about an hour from start to finish.

Happy Trails

Slim

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Man. What a bummer. I just got my 83 Aspencade a few days ago, and the man had put on a shorter windshield, and took off the tall wrap around windshield, and it come with the bike, along with an extra seat.
Good Luck,
Nightrider1

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The problem is that the Tulsa is raked a lot further aft than the stock windshield. I think the only solution for you would be to replace the windshield with a stock height or slightly higher unit. There are several different brands available, I have a Cee Bailey stock height that I cut an inch off of which suits me well and doesn't generate complaints from the backseater. You being four or five inches taller than I might like a stock plus one or two inch higher windshield. I won't ride with one I can't see over the top of. I like to see the ground over the top of the windshield about 50-60 feet ahead of the bike without stretching my neck upward.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,505 Posts
imported post

I wish I knew what the brand name was, but on my 1500, the windscreen had a reverse curve at the top.

I never had any wind on my helmet, nor did my pillion riders.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
The problem is that the Tulsa is raked a lot further aft than the stock windshield. I think the only solution for you would be to replace the windshield with a stock height or slightly higher unit. There are several different brands available, I have a Cee Bailey stock height that I cut an inch off of which suits me well and doesn't generate complaints from the backseater. You being four or five inches taller than I might like a stock plus one or two inch higher windshield. I won't ride with one I can't see over the top of. I like to see the ground over the top of the windshield about 50-60 feet ahead of the bike without stretching my neck upward.
You are deffinatly right about the Tulsa. It is going to be replaced as it now causes severe buffeting. I looked at getting the Memphis Shade windshield that is two inches higher than stock and thought with my luck that the top of it would be sitting right in my line of vision so I opted for the stock height Memphis shade. I'm hoping to recieve it and have it installed by the end of the week.

Happy Trails

Slim

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

Hope the new shield works, wouldn't work for me. With the construction of the seat my wife sits a head taller than me on the bike and with the stock windshield she complained the wind was too much and suffered with a sore neck after rides. The Tulsa tall cleared that right up, I just learned to look thru it and open the windshield vent to get air in the face :waving:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I have the extra tall/wide shield that came on mine from the PO. I cut it down around 3.5" and still have to stretch to see over it.And get alot of wind buffeting from behind. My hair blows forward, weird. I tried the +2 stock same thing, then the short stock version from Slipstreamer not as bad to me.

I'm thinking of going back stock and putting the side windshield wings I added to the +2 on there. I'm thinking it may be the trunk creating the vortex inside the driver area. Strange to have wind blowing up your neck at 70mph. Cant get used to it.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,881 Posts
imported post

Thanks for this info. I have an extra tall Tulsa and have been trying to decide whether to cut it or buy a shorter one. Won't be cutting this one. Actually might be good to have both for I like the Tulsa for riding in cooler weather. If you look at my avitar you can see the heighth and slope.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

dingdong wrote:
Thanks for this info. I have an extra tall Tulsa and have been trying to decide whether to cut it or buy a shorter one. Won't be cutting this one. Actually might be good to have both for I like the Tulsa for riding in cooler weather. If you look at my avitar you can see the heighth and slope.
Yea I would have to say it is the same as mine USED TO BE. I have actually never had a windshield that was as comfortable to sit behind but I didn't like looking through it. If I knew then what I know now I would have done exactly what you are thinking and pull it off and set it aside for the cooler weather in the fall.

Happy Trails

Slim

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

LilJack wrote:
Hope the new shield works, wouldn't work for me. With the construction of the seat my wife sits a head taller than me on the bike and with the stock windshield she complained the wind was too much and suffered with a sore neck after rides. The Tulsa tall cleared that right up, I just learned to look thru it and open the windshield vent to get air in the face :waving:
Wow you two shoulda just traded

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Got the same issue with my 1500. Bought it with the extra tall tulsa and I hated it. So I got new shield and cut it to 20.5 inches, gasket to top, and it was great but. the wind just beat Eleanor up, due to the air slamming her in the chest and helmet,

So back to the xtra tall. great for her terrible for me. I get no air aand when it's over 85 degrees I am getting cooked. So===

I ordered up a Windbender Windshield from Firecreek Accessories and have installed it.
Man talk about dissappointment. Set it as low as possible & at 5'11" I can just see over it and going uphill I have to look thru the lip curve and it distorts the view.

Worse, the buffetting is still bad for the pasenger. So====

I mounted the outer part of the shield UPSIDE DOWN, and it works better, I can see over it and the buffeting is better. not super great but better.

I could shorten the xtra tall a bit and install a vent but I'd still have to look THROUGH it

Maybe sell the wing or trade the wife

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.