Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I'm interested in cutting down on the wind buffeting on my helmet. My head is continually shaking, if I ride with the windsheild all the waydown it effects my vision all the way up there is less buffeting but up around 80 it is still significant. I normally ride on very crowded highways which creates very turbulant air and thus effects the buffeting. So i'm wondering if a taller windsheild is in order or those wings and deflectors that hang off the side of the bike. I'm not looking for perfection but a little improvement will go a long way.

Thanks Tom

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Trouble with a taller screen is you have to look thro" it in bad weather or stand up. Dangerous. My answer (and it works) is a windshield that you just see over in a proper seated position. Then add a vent and a Laminar Lip.{Google) Done. Had these on my bike for nearly two years now. Get no buffeting Neither does my VIP (Very Important Passenger )ie wife...
The idea is this- behind the shield is a low pressure area.In front and to the sides of the shield is a high pressure area. High pressure always tries to fill low pressure (ask any weatherman) result is constant buffeting.You must use ALL these methods for it to work successfully.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well the shield choice will have to be yours. Everyone will point out the pros and cons of tall and short.

I installed the Kuryakyn handlebar riser kit mainly for comfort. I have the bars full up and full back, but one of the side benefits was the the wind that whipped around the edge of the shield and hit the bars and the switch control blocks and right into my face just quit.

It is not a vast improvement, but it was a very welcome benefit that I noticed the very first day I used the bike with them installed, I was running down the interstate and simply noticed , hey, there is not as much buffeting now.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Interesting Tom because I'm a mere 5'7" and with the windshild at its lowest setting I don't get any buffeting as you've described. I don't have any of the add on wind deflectors on the bike at all (previous owner had wind deflectors everywhere and I removed them).:baffled:

I've has the problem you've described on previous bikes and they actually had taller windshields that I couldn't see over.:baffled:

I guess this is my way of saying that I don't have an answer.:)

I do know that when I raise the windshield in severe weather my wife gets less air.:waving:

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking tall windshield that can easily be lowered to see over in the rain. I will look into those deflectors. I know itcan be better, my 1100 had almost no buffeting and my V Star has a crappy little windshield and lower deflectors no buffeting at all. I guess i'll have to fool around to find the right combo.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.