Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cut off

2K views 35 replies 35 participants last post by  goldwinger43 
#1 ·
imported post

I was riding home from work last night. I was on a four-lane road, approaching a stoplight with a left-hand turn lane, which I was in, following another car. My "sixth sense" or whatever you call it made me look warily at the car immediately to my right, just as she (a young girl, with a cell phone clamped to her ear, of course) started to come into my lane, directly into me. I think she had realized at the last second that she was about to miss the turn, and so she cut into the left turn lane, which I was already occupying.

I laid on my horn, which she ignored. There was opposing traffic, so swerving into the oncoming lanes was not an option. The car in front of me blocked my escape route that way. My only option was to swerve left as far as I could and nail the brakes. Fortunately the person behind me saw this going on, and braked to allow me an opening, and I narrowly missed clipping her rear bumper as she swerved into my lane. The young girl obliviously came to a stop in front of me, waiting at the now red light to turn left.

I was SO FURIOUS. I popped my kickstand down, and hopped off my bike, storming up to her window as I flipped open my helmet visor. She was STILL oblivious, still chatting away on her cell phone. I pounded my fist on her window. THAT got her attention, she nearly jumped out of her seat. I then yelled at her, "you just cut me off, you almost hit me, and almost forced me into oncoming traffic!" Her sunroof was open, so I knew she could hear me. She looked at me, terrified, and said those famous four words: "I didn't see you!"

The light turned green. I yelled once more, "get off your ****ing phone and watch where you're ****ing driving before you kill someone next time!", walked back to my bike, and followed her through the green. She turned off almost immediately afterward.

Thinking about it after I had calmed down a bit, it probably wasn't the best way to handle the situation, but I was SO ANGRY - which is not normal for me. I virtually never lose my temper, but I did with this careless, oblivious young girl yesterday.

See less See more
#3 ·
imported post

With any luck it will make her pay a little more attention in the future. At least for a few miles anyway.

I don't think you did anything wrong.

#6 ·
imported post

Should be against the law using cell phones and driving, wake up lawmakers...

#7 ·
imported post

I have to agree with what you did. Soo many cagers cutting motorcycles off. I'm starting to take it kind of personal, because you could die on that bike.

#8 ·
imported post

I think you did the right thing, young girl or an old man who cares. You got lucky! , next rider maybe not so much. Your well placed words and appropriate tone probably got the message through. Cell phones need to be outlawed while driving.

Check this idiot out here in Victoria......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEZjF1MJBDY

#12 ·
imported post

Don't do that in AZ........you'll get shot. On the other hand, you can carry while riding as well...........you'd be amazed how much more visible you become when you ride while excercizing your right to open carry.

Freakin' cager can't see a 900 lb motorcycle from 8 feet away......but somehow they can spot a S&W Model 66 .357 from 2 miles. You figure it out.

#13 ·
imported post

I guess reaching in and taking the phone away from her and telling the party on the other end what just happened would have been "kinda" out of line??:baffled:

You didnt do anything wrong.

Had a similar occurance in merging traffic happen to me a bit over a year ago. The difference was SHE KNEW I was there, windows down and my horn going off in her ear.
She just kept coming over IT WAS WAY OBVIOUS SHE DID NOT CARE!!!! I could have jumped in the car with her it was that close and at 65mph. Needless to say I watch every idiot on the road that is merging and I either adjust my speed up or down. What ever gets me away from them. In my case she was bulling her way in and I was IN HER WAY.

Glad you exhibited the appropriate behavior for HER lack of behavior and that you are OK!!!!!

#14 ·
imported post

I had an "incident" awhile back. It was late, about 10pm, and some idiot was tailgating me. We came to a stop sign and the kid was more interested in his girlfriend than the fact that he stopped less than two feet from my bike. I had had it with him and yelled out "stay the %&* off my bumper, he ignored me so I repeated my myself, something I don't like to have to do. His response was to flip me off through his sunroof.

At that I got a little stupid considering it was dark out and I couldn't see inside his car. The bike went onto the sidestand I went back to have a discussion with the driver. About the time I reached the window he put the car into reverse and almost hitting the car behind him. He popped into into forward and swung around my bike on the right hand side and took off, leaving me and the driver of the car laughing our heads off. I could tell it was a kid maybe around 18 driving a very nice buick roadmaster, a family car, mom or dads no doubt. We were both wondering how he would explain the damage to the passenger side as he ran the post of the stop sign along the full length of the car.

Do I thing he learned anything, no. Do I think he'll tell his folks the truth, no. But it was very satisfying. It was after I was on the ride again that it hit me that if he had a gun, I wouldn't have seen it until it flashed in my face and he could have claimed self defense from road rage (he may have been right).

#15 ·
imported post

jesus did you turn pale green and gain about 400 lbs of muscle and just heave ho her car in the lake????

incredible hulk

but i cant say much ive done worse to people that cut me off

#16 ·
imported post

Oh boy, don't get me started on texting and driving. I would like to punish the idiot behind the wheel as I strongly believe that it is just a matter of time untill the moron hits someone. I don't want it to be me.
I really don't think some of these idiots realize how dangerous it is, or else they are so important that no one else matters.
I really hate that type of behavior.
fast black

#17 ·
imported post

A few years ago I had a similar experience. I'm not one to lose my temper, but that time I did. I pulled along side the driver (young girl) at the next light and told her how dangerous her move was and that she should pay attention. She flipped me off. Smart alec little teenager. I guess I'm number one in her book. I hope my daughter is a better driver than that and I sure hope she has a better disposition out there.

#19 ·
imported post

Scott,

I had the same thing happen to me. I pulled in front of the **B and parked the bike sideways in their lane and just dropped it right there.

Walked back and gave that driver a full Navy style dressing down. Not a smart move for the Phoenix area. The only thing I wish I had done, and that you had done, was to strip their cellphone out of their hands and throw it as far as possible.

#20 ·
imported post

OK, you got cut-off...

Would she have seen you if not on the phone? That's a gamble, don't answer it.
The choices we make...
Nobody but you said, "I think I'll ride my motorcycle today and risk being cut-off, run-over and maimed by a young girl talking on a phone while driving a cage."
These situations will continue to happen. Always have, haven't they?

Fortunately, she wasn't a Pistol-Packing Mama who gave more about 2 farts from a rats ass than from you on a bike hasslin' her.

There are some crazies out there.
Be 'ware... :cheeky1:

#21 ·
imported post

Good for you GSM!

1. You got it off your chest (worth a lot). And 2. Being young, there is a chance that she will be more careful next time. If nothing else, she needed to face the consequences of her actions (you).

Some people don't learn unless the problem (again you hehe...) is staring them in the face.

You may very well have saved someone else down the road...

JB

#23 ·
imported post

I was headed to Pax River Naval base, going down a grade in the rain. This little sports car kept running up to my tailights and then backing away. After a few of these runs I waited for him to just get up to me. And I HIT THE BRAKES. All I saw in

is him going around and around out of control down this grade. I kept on going:action:

#24 ·
imported post

Good for you. One down and how many million to go. A cell phone is the only phone we have, and sometimes I still wish they'd outlaw the *#@^ things.

I drive a school bus, which is supposed to allow a four second cushion. Naturally people are going to cut in with that much space, but every day I have idiots cut right in front of me WITH THEIR BRAKES ONand leaving less than a second between useven when if it's raining.

#25 ·
imported post

Jetmek wrote:
I was headed to Pax River Naval base, going down a grade in the rain. This little sports car kept running up to my tailights and then backing away. After a few of these runs I waited for him to just get up to me. And I HIT THE BRAKES. All I saw in

is him going around and around out of control down this grade. I kept on going:action:
I love it! :cheeky1::cheeky1:

#26 ·
imported post

You did better than I would have. I'd have, probably, broken her window. Unfortunately, bimbos don't learn. I've had them pull stunts like this in my Jeep, on the bike, just about anywhere and everywhere.

These people spend their lives babbling. Words don't really get the 'point' across with these creatures. One problem is, had she called 911, you'd have been the heavy. Picking on some poor defenseless woman.

Years ago, a friend of mine, got center punched at an intersection (he had the light). When he snapped out of it, he saw is other half sitting up, on the road, and he lost it. He jerked that ass hole out of his truck and did the fandango on his head. Wanna guess who went to jail?

There are times when you just can't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.