Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got my covers last Friday from Holland, wuhoo. Looks like I'll be doing a bit of cutting to get them to fit properly on my LTD.

Any tips for cutting these things. I figured I'd use a die grinder then smooth out the edge with a spindle sander. But I'm open to ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Have you given any thought to a Dremel with a rotary cutter on it. It might be a lot smoother than the die grinder. They are just ABS plastic so I dont think it will be too hard. Just remember to measure twice and cut once.

I would hate to see a post from you that says that you have cut them off three times and they are still too small. :doh:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Dave, If they just need a short bit off the edges (say 8mm) you can easily sand it off. I'v eseen them sanded with 80 grade and finer to finish, you can put some of that black plastic edging over the edge to meke it look more OEM.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Looks like the left side will fit as is, the right side will need some cutting to make room for the chrome box behind the cylinder covers. I'll need to trim about an inch I figure, so the Dremel is looking like the way to go.

I used some tin snips to cut the bottom black apron on the right side cover so it could slip in above the foot peg, and that worked out alright. It shredded the ABS to the right of the cut, but that was the throw-away stuff and now a little sanding will sort it out just fine.

When I'm done, I'll be hiding (actually removing) all of the chrome accents on both sides (e.g. the CDI covers), but not being a huge fan of chrome to start with, that won't bother me a bit. It definitely won't look the same as other GL1500LTD with the correct Markland side covers that open up to show off the chrome.

I think the bike will really start to look sharp, and close the gap between the seamless look of the 1500/1800, and the unfinished look (engine compartment wise) of the 1200's.

Cheers, and thanks for the advice.

Dave

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

You will find that those covers were made for the stock 1200, not the fuel injected models. But if you can make them fit they will sure look nice. :waving:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.