Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

StereoSteveo wrote:
Gear shifting is sooooo.......1960. It's Macho
Why won't Honda do this? It's cost too much.
I sure liked it on my Suzuki Burgman 650... It's somone elses idea.
A Wing would really be the cat's ass with a CVT. hummm, I like purrrrr.
Makes for such a smooth ride too. It'sssssss.. . . . ummmm
Can you imagine replacing those belts every 20-30K ?

100 HP will eat'm up like candy.

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

FM wrote:
StereoSteveo wrote:
Gear shifting is sooooo.......1960.  It's Macho
Why won't Honda do this?   It's cost too much.
I sure liked it on my Suzuki Burgman 650...  It's somone elses idea.

Really?
Well how the hell does a 260 HP SUV do it?

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/murano/2011/features-specs.html

Yeah...we need those belts...

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

StereoSteveo wrote:
FM wrote:
StereoSteveo wrote:
Gear shifting is sooooo.......1960. It's Macho
Why won't Honda do this? It's cost too much.
I sure liked it on my Suzuki Burgman 650... It's somone elses idea.

Really?
Well how the hell does a 260 HP SUV do it?
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/murano/2011/features-specs.html
Yeah...we need those belts...
First off, I can care the HELL less about how cars trans work. I have not kept up on all these new innovations so me updating myself is in need.

In the short time of what I have read,these CVT, IVT, VDP, etc. all have sidewall materialslip between the pulleys and it's belt or roller chain.All these types depend on slackness to change one or the others mating surface to change it's 'so-called' gear.Currently I'm not sure if that's a good thing/feel to bike riders. We like grip more than slip.

BUT. . . .
Now that I've read up on these new transmissions I still can't see this type on most bikes UNLESS first gear is actually the traditional gear to gear then the rest of the shiftingis the CVT.

Currently starting off slowfrom a dead stop and doing 180 short radius turns we need the solid throttle to gear response otherwise the CVTactually slips.I'm sure it can work but it's a new feel riders would have to learn.

Personally I like the control the throttle to gears have. That's me. :cool:
All this is JUST my opinion and my learning curve on this conversation.
:byebye:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Exerpt from motorcycledaily.com

"We tried all of the modes available from the fancy transmission, but ultimately left the transmission in the “normal” automatic mode. The bike did not seem to accelerate any quicker using the other modes, although the manual mode did allow finer control of engine braking and midcorner gear selection."

NOW. . . I understand this CVT trans. Just takes a little info other than the near none you gave me. I will have to look into this a little more, I might like it.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Most modern car and bike CVT only use one big belt or chain to transmit drive from engine to transmission. Actual gearchange is electric stepper motors. I think the 650 Burgman has this setup. It is very much more efficient than early CVT.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

FM wrote:

First off, I can care the HELL less about how cars trans work. I have not kept up on all these new innovations so me updating myself is in need.

In the short time of what I have read,these CVT, IVT, VDP, etc. all have sidewall materialslip between the pulleys and it's belt or roller chain.All these types depend on slackness to change one or the others mating surface to change it's 'so-called' gear.Currently I'm not sure if that's a good thing/feel to bike riders. We like grip more than slip.

BUT. . . .
Now that I've read up on these new transmissions I still can't see this type on most bikes UNLESS first gear is actually the traditional gear to gear then the rest of the shiftingis the CVT.

Currently starting off slowfrom a dead stop and doing 180 short radius turns we need the solid throttle to gear response otherwise the CVTactually slips.I'm sure it can work but it's a new feel riders would have to learn.

Personally I like the control the throttle to gears have. That's me. :cool:
All this is JUST my opinion and my learning curve on this conversation.
:byebye:
I'm with you on this one. I had a car with a CVT in it and I didn't like the feel even in the car. I can't imagine that feel on a bike.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

How much more weight would that add? Bergmans are clos to 650lbs aren't they? Kinda heavy for a SCOOTER. Don't ya think? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Thanks but I'm REALLY fond of the additional rapid deceleration that engine braking offers me. If I wanted a cvt in a bike I'd buy a silverwing or burghman, but alas I've chosen not to.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

CVT drives have been around for MANY years. The name of the farm tractor escapes me but about 70-80 years ago there was a tractor that had the engine on slides and used a car tire against a steel disc to make it CVT. Much like the Snapper Comet rider lawn mower.

Having had a Honda-Matic bike for a short bit I would think that the wing would be a great place for an automatic.

Maybe a computer controlled clutch with a paddle shifter like the top end cars have. Just select drive and roll in some throttle and the clutch release comes on line by a computer controlled rate. Would be a good place that traction control could be added.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

NOPE. I LIKE MY CLUTCH TOO

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

MichiganWing wrote:
Thanks but I'm REALLY fond of the additional rapid deceleration that engine braking offers me..
The Burgman 650 has engine braking. I don't know how they managed it on an auto/CVT scoot, but they did and it works great.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I can certainly understand the attraction... it would sort of be like riding around on a big SeaDoo.

Get on, sit down, shut up and just hold on.

However... I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber that has a CVT transmission and if that is any indication of what to expect as far as responsiveness is concerned... I;d rather shift!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

The Can Am Spyder has an optional electric clutch. You have to upshift with a bar mounted switch and it downshifts a gear at 3000 RPM So when you stop you are back in 1st gear. Not an automatic but not a CVT either.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
imported post

If they made one and it worked like the CVT in Honda cars, no thank you. An automatic would be a nice option for those unable to shift because of physical problems and on trikes but until further notice I prefer to shift it myself.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

If you don`t like shifting then perhaps you should be on a snowmobile instead.
and dave0430, why would you say a snowmobile clutch would be ok for a trike? I have a car-trike and the biggest mistake I made when I built it was to leave the automatic tranny in it instead of changing to a standard. shifting is part of biking.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
imported post

StereoSteveo wrote:
Gear shifting is sooooo.......1960.
Why won't Honda do this?
I sure liked it on my Suzuki Burgman 650...
A Wing would really be the cat's ass with a CVT.
Makes for such a smooth ride too.
Allthough not on a 'wing, Honda HAS tried the CVT with the introduction of the DN-01:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_DN-01

It was discontinued at the end of 2010....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.