Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey everyone!

I just picked up my first 'wing from a dealer auction in Columbia, TN (and boy did they have some interesting bikes... Everything from a 1933 Brough Superior to a wrecked Cessna!). I got my new '76 GL1000 back home and discovered it has a Dyna S ignition and a Cycle Innovation single carb manifold! I did all the preparation as per Randakk's site and managed to get her running again.

I'm looking to go back to the original carb rack. I've got a set of 758A's coming from Ebay, but my motorcycle fund has taken quite a hit since I ordered a new corbin gunfighter seat for the bike.

So my question is, what kind of price should I be setting for the CI manifold and carb set? From what little information I've found, I know the setup is pretty rare and in fairly high demand (depending on who you talk to!). But I still know next to nothing about the thing...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I had a single carb and manifold on my '83 Wing and loved it. A friend of mine makes the manifold I used. It works just as good as the multiple carb OEM setup and never needed synchronizing and rebuilding the carb cost $15.00. I would never go back to multiple carb setup again. Just my thoughts.

Bernie

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I put the CI kit on my '77 ( don't have it now:() and I was very pleased with it. I did it the year 2000 or 2001. I remember it costing in the area of $500. That included everything. New choke cable, new plugs,and I'm not sure what else came with it.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I've read that there is commonly an issue with excess fuel consumption (something a poor college student has to be wary of) and that top end performance can take a hit as well. I'm all for easy maintenance, but I'm used to the carbs being crammed in behind an inline 4 engine and barely accessible. It seems the carbs on a 'wing are kinda hanging out there (like on a Guzzi or BMW) and easily accessible for maintenance. Besides, I like the look of the original carbs better. Chock it up to personal preference I guess.

Winger, thanks for that info. I'll take my set off tonight and inspect it for any damages or other issues. If it was $500 new with a bunch of extra stuff, I suppose a used set should run in the $300-$400 range. But then of course there's the rarity factor...

Sheesh, I hate selling stuff when I don't know anything about it (especially when it's something that may be valuable!) :baffled:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

It is true about the top end factor. Once I hit 85-90 mph she lost steam, but how much faster do you need to go,,,,,, right? Low end was very good,,,,,,,, she hit 70 in no time at all, and she wanted to run at a steady 80mph when I would be on the interstate. She just seemed to like running that way.

I can understand how you feel about the looks. I wasn't as fond of the CI look, but the easy care and never having to fool with carbs was a bigger plus for me.

You might want to hang on to the kit till your sure you like the originals.

Eitherway,,,,,, Enjoy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.