Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Iowa County, WI - July 23, 2011 at 00:01 hours - Brad A. Bass, 49 of Platteville, WI, was northbound on STH 80 (.15 mile south of CTH P (west)) with another motorcyclist when they encountered cattle in the roadway.
The 1st motorcycle was able to avoid striking any of the animals.Bass struck a Holstein heifer and was ejected from his motorcycle.Bass was not wearing a helmet, and was transported to UW Hospital.He was later pronounced dead.The accident isstill under investigation.

Just can't keep the critters in their yard!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

In 1981 a friend of ours had just took delivery of a new Gold Wing, it was "loaded", nice bike....One afternoon on his way to his club meeting, some cows had broken a fence and were all over the road....Bill was doing great on this twistie road, came around one curve, guess who is in his lane?????...Yup Bossie and about twenty of her friends, pooping all over the road....Bill tried to stop his Wing but hit a streak of cow poop....He hit bossie right square in the fanny, no too far to the right, not too far to the left....Of course the Wing went down, Bill slid for about 20 to 30 feet under cows, and into the ditch....Bill had on full leathers, pants not chaps, helmet, etc....Bill survived with minor road rash, and some lumps and bumps...The Wing was totaled!!!!..He hadn't even made the second payment yet!!!!...

Police called, cows owner had to pay for Bill a New Wing...His protective gear, once cleaned, we used in the "Learn to Ride Classes" we taught, as an great example of wearing all of your gear....All of the time...Great teaching tool, but embarrassing to Bill...

Moral of this is.....If you live in an area where live stock, can and do get out, then be more aware of them....Be prepared to avoid them...To me cows are worse than deer, Deer will get out of the way, some won't, but cows, they fear nothing!!!!..They will just stand there....

Sorry about that guy that died, prayers to his family and friends....

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

If you cannot stop in the clear distance that you can see, then you are going too fast. I understand that stopping on cowflop would be next to impossible.

Under normal traction conditions you should be able to round a curve and find something sitting there and stop in time. The same goes for cresting a hill. If you don't follow this rule, you will eventually hit something.

Nothing is dumber than a cow!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
imported post

My thoughts also when I read the first post.

They were riding way to fast for conditions.
ie, impossible to stop within the visible area of their headlights.

I'm a lot more sensitive to this issue since that 18 wheeler tried to kill me. That one " was not my fault ", BUT......
if I had either dropped way back from the crowd, or just passed that sucker within 10 seconds or less, he would not had a chance to run me into a concrete median.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Politicians excluded! :D

Sorry that the guy died. :(
I know what cows are like though. I hit one several years ago with my 69 Buick Skylark. I wouldn't want to do it on a bike.

Some places, especially out west, are open range land where the roads just go through ranches. You really have to be careful there.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

the thing is i did my research and i found out it was raining where they were at so u wouldnt b able to see as well, then again u wouldnt b able to go too fast without being bashed by the rain, and if the cow was black, theres no way he would have seen it unless it was too late anyway

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
imported post

Can you imagine riding in the dark and rounding a corner or cresting a hill a see this in the middle of the road. The story goes that there were cattle not one cow. Living here in in Wisconsin I have seen cattle on the road and sometimes the road is completely blocked and they wont move I wasnt there but maybe he did the best he could do just wasnt good enough. Pic was taken in Montana on a hunting trip but i seen something like it here in cow country of Wiscosnin. Nipe

Attachments

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Damn - I grew up in that area. Prayers to Brad and his family.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Actually, that is incorrect, a horse is dumber than a cow.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
?

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

Bass was not wearing a helmet

I feel for his family but there ya go, how many times is this printed along with the words "pronounced dead"?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Gofastandfalldown wrote:
MDKramer wrote:
FeButter wrote:
A moose is dumber than horses and cows.
Apparently no one here has ever met a politician.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.