Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got my bike back together, synced out the carbs yesterday, every thing was running good, Today I started it up this morning it started fine, I let it run for 5 min, then had to go to the father in laws, Came home three hours later went to start it and all it would do was click, click click, then it turned over a little then a little more and finally she fired right up and smokes alot, Ran I around the block to clean up the plugs now she runs good again,

Last night I turned the fuel pepcock off, when I left this after noon I left it on, Do these bikes gravity feed at all,

I just rebuilt these carbs because of this problem, I thought the floats were sticking but now everything is clean and I think it's the same problem, and These old wings don't have a float bowl overflow tube, so in the cylinder goes the gas, Last time it was the left two, the side it leans on the center stand,

This time I just kept tapping the started until she went, So not sure which one but I'd suspect the same,

Well any Ideas, or should I just be turning off the fuel, besides this It seems to run great.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

They gravity feed if the tank is more than about 2/3 full (good to know if your fuel pump ever goes). I leave my petcock on most of the time and don't have a problem.

It sounds like you might have sticking float valve. Can you isolate which cylinder is flooding?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Right, gotta be a leaking float needle valve.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I'm not sure which cylinder, I left the pepcock off for 6 hours, and It started right up even before I turned the gas on, If it was a float valve shouldn't it have drained the gas out, except the gas in the carb, She ran great for at least a min, then I turned the gas on and she was still fine.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Gearhead76 wrote:
I'm not sure which cylinder, I left the pepcock off for 6 hours, and It started right up even before I turned the gas on, If it was a float valve shouldn't it have drained the gas out, except the gas in the carb, She ran great for at least a min, then I turned the gas on and she was still fine.
Well... maybe you had some debris in the valve and it worked itself out?? I'd just keep riding the bike and see what happens. There could have been something left over from the rebuild either in the carb or downstream from the fuel filter.

Since the bike has been sitting, I think you just need to exercise the bike a bit more and work the kinks out. After rebuilding mine it didn't exactly run the best either, but the more I ride it, the better it gets.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I put about ten miles on her today, Idles a little rough but just purrs going down the street, Can barely hear her run, And What Power, I think she's a keeper,

Now I just have to fix the oil leak by the fuel pump were it mounts on to the tach cable houseing, just a gasket, and then change the oil again, theres gotta be gas in there with how much was in the cylinders, Then she should be good for a while.

And when I get that front seat bracket from frenchy, It should hopefully be a more comfortable ride, right now the seat leans too far forward.

But man these things are fast

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Gearhead76 wrote:
But man these things are fast
'75 - '77 were some of the fastest... big carbs and lumpy cams.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm Likeing it so far

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.