Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 gl1800
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my new to me 2004 black GL1800 today - one owner and only 2,400 miles since new. Mostly it is very good but there is a little corrosion on the both head covers. How can I restore these so they look like new?

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi, if similar to the 1500, the 1800 with be polished and a clear protective laquer over the top. If the laquer has peeled it is probably allowing the corrosion you mention. I'm no expert at all, but maybe a good quality of metal polish would at least bring it up to the standard you want. (Mothers Aluminium polish or Autosol perhaps?) The surfaces of both my head covers were quite bad ( tho on a '93) so I removed them, cleaned them up and had them professionally polished and they look really great with no major ongoing maintenance (the clear laquer is removed).
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
2012 gl1800
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an 1800 so has brushed aluminium type effect under the laquer. I did my 15`s by taking the laquer off and polishing. The 18 has the same laquer but a strange finish and I dont want to start rubbing and getting the wrong effect. I want to keep as standard

·
Premium Member
2012 gl1800
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone? What about removal of the cam covers? I know how to check the plugs so the bottom half removes easily. I intend to have a go this weekend and think wire wool may do the job. But really would like some advice first

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi again, I understand your concern, but please don't panic, hopefully someone with an 1800 will be able to give you guidance soon ...wire wool may be a bit harsh perhaps depending on the situation,(damage to the lacquer) start with something a bit less abrasive perhaps.
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I don't have pitting on mine but when I clean them they don't clean up like the other chrome or painted surfaces. I use a chrome polish, like Mothers, it takes some rubbing it in and rubbing it off after it dries. I would recommend getting a couple small cloth polishing wheels from Harbor Freight and using that to polish the pitted or stubborn areas. Once your done with the bad areas, you can then make the determination if you need to strip the clear coat off or not, if there is a clear coat on them, Mine does not appear to be clear coated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.