Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1976 GW that I've been restoring. It's coming along slowly. The bike has a new CDI unit replacing the points (put on by an experienced GW guy) and I put on a couple of DYNA 3.0 ohm coils when I became concerned about the poor condition of plug wires and connections. I have the right coil going to 1 and 2 (front cylinders) and the left coil to 3 and 4 (rear cylinders). I get no spark at the 1 and 2 plugs. I used the "Randakk" method of testing the coils (which are new) by using a multi-meter to test resistance. On the "sparkless" right coil I get a reading of 13.3 on a setting of 2000 ohm connected from plug wires lead to lead. On the left side I get a reading of 14.2 on a setting of 2000 ohm. Though the readings are not exact, I assume this is close enough and the reading is high enough to indicate the coils are good. Right?

The 3 and 4 plugs spark fine. Embarrassingly, I've put about 30 miles on the bike wondering why I had so little power. Any idea what I should check to determine why two are firing and two are not? As always, your expertise is appreciated.

·
Administrator
26,139 Posts
imported post

I would suspect the CDI unit if you are getting power to the coil.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I test the coils by switching the wires that feed them near the battery, and then swap the plug wires front to rear. This swaps what coil does what plugs.

All of the older elec. ignition kits I have had needed a choke coil at the regular coils. The bike will not run right without it.

Double check the install of the kit as well, and some kits are defective when new.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.