Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Every single time I take the Valk out I get about a mile from the house and she dies. I know immediately what the problem is and pull over and open the petcock. Strange thing is, I always remember to shut it off, I just can't remember to turn it on before riding. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
imported post

I am just the opposite... I can't remember to shut it off... which is scary.

So... how are you and that Valk getting along these days? It's been long enough now for you to have a better opinion...

T
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
60,196 Posts
imported post

Why not do what we pilots do?

When we park the plane, we place a cover over the pitot tube which produces the vacuum to make the instruments work. Keeps critters out so it does not get blocked.

That cover has a large red banner on it, "Remove Before Flight"

Make a large yellow or red banner and secure it to the petcock at each stop.

You can't miss that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Why not do what we pilots do?

When we park the plane, we place a cover over the pitot tube which produces the vacuum to make the instruments work. Keeps critters out so it does not get blocked.

That cover has a large red banner on it, "Remove Before Flight"

Make a large yellow or red banner and secure it to the petcock at each stop.

You can't miss that...
What do I do. As DrifterTex will attest, I am the worlds worst at leaving my key on... on the Valk I have the additional worry of remebering to turn the petcock off...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Just got up form the keyboard right now and walked over to turn it off...
.
.
I'm an idiot I tell ya! Riding a wing will make you stupid...


T
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
imported post

with 6 carbs on that thing--- you had better start remembering!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

us385south wrote:
I am just the opposite... I can't remember to shut it off... which is scary.

So... how are you and that Valk getting along these days? It's been long enough now for you to have a better opinion...

T
I've warmed up to it considerably. Might just keep her. She's lighter and nimbler than a Wing and more fun to ride local. Rode her to the mountains about a month ago and the Wing wins hands down in the comfort category on the highway. But the Valk has awesome power, more than the Wing by a good margin.

Wanna do the BRP before it gets too cold but I'm wondering if I could stand 600 miles of mostly Interstate in one day to get to the northern end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
imported post

ChaosandConfusion wrote:
never having a Valk I take it that it will leak if you leave it open?
Chaos/Con

While technically correct, leak is not the term most Valkers would use... we shudder at the very thought of "hydro-lock." (although it has nothing to do with water... It could be more correctly described as "petrol-lock.")

This is the stuff that bad nightmares are made of.

Hydrolock: The collocial term applied to fuel leaking past the vacuum actuated shutoff valve (petcock) on a Valkyrie and then, because the factory Valk does not have center stand, seeping in unchecked to fill the three left hand cylinders. Then when you come out to crank it... hitting the starter and subsequently screwing things up beyond all recognition... serious wreckage! Major damage!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
imported post

Fritz_The_Cat wrote:
I've warmed up to it considerably. Might just keep her. She's lighter and nimbler than a Wing and more fun to ride local. Rode her to the mountains about a month ago and the Wing wins hands down in the comfort category on the highway. But the Valk has awesome power, more than the Wing by a good margin.

Wanna do the BRP before it gets too cold but I'm wondering if I could stand 600 miles of mostly Interstate in one day to get to the northern end.
Fritz...

I concur. I mostly ride the beast back and forth to work and around town. I often tell people I know the Wing is for heavy, long haul touring and the Valk is all about style points and attitude.

This is not to say I can't tour on the Valk, it's just meaner and a whole lot leaner. I have a standard dressed like a tourer, which only gives me a maximum range of about 140 miles, which is a real issue for me in the western states. Here in Texas, which is very well known ground for me... I am okay on the Valk. If I go anywhere else, I need the flexibility of the larger tank and the extra room of the Wing.

BRP... I did the Natchez Trace this last summer and completely loved it! I would LOVE to do the BRP, from end to end. We should put together a ride for some future summer... I am sure many others would hop on that band wagon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

I just got off the BRP, even on cold foggy damp days like today it's a great place to be! Traveled about 150 miles of it, but still have never done the whole thing. That on the bucket list.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
207 Posts
imported post

Used to have a B &B on the BRP @ milepost 192. Beautiful area! I have ridden from end to end. It is a great ride! The N.C. stretch is beautiful. Always try to plan a trip in the fall for the leaves. That would be a great time for you to ride it again! If you see a bright blue 1500 on the BRP, WAVE, it just might be me and the wife.Keep on riding!!



Wingrider59
 

·
Gregarious Greeter
Joined
·
16,809 Posts
imported post

A petrock. My kids used to have one of those:cheeky1:

Oh,.........a petcock:shock:

My 1800 doesn't have one of those and it took me a week to get used to NOT having a petcock, but I don't miss not having one.:action:
 

·
Gregarious Greeter
Joined
·
16,809 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
I just got off the BRP, even on cold foggy damp days like today it's a great place to be! Traveled about 150 miles of it, but still have never done the whole thing. That on the bucket list.
Good luck with that one.

Seems one area of it is always closed due to construction.

Maybe someday.

I have traveled the 469 miles more than once and every time a section of it was closed.

Sure is a beautiful ride though.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,567 Posts
imported post

I have been letting my son use one of my 1100s and had to tape a note to the shelter to remind him to turn it off, only problem with that is it seems he can't read.:readit:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

Right now the only section that is close, as per the BRP website is between MM 227 and 248, or something like that. The detour however is a nice break through Sparta and some of the mountain roads are as good or better than the BRP.

Wingrider59 - PM me when your ready to take the ride, we want to head west to the beginning, or deals gap, spend the night and ride back the next day. on our return trip, we exit at MM 200 just over the Va border. Maybe we can meet up somewhere along the road, or campsite..... or, knowing my wife, cabin.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

Right now the only section that is close, as per the BRP website is between MM 227 and 248, or something like that. The detour however is a nice break through Sparta and some of the mountain roads are as good or better than the BRP.

Wingrider59 - PM me when your ready to take the ride, we want to head west to the beginning, or deals gap, spend the night and ride back the next day. on our return trip, we exit at MM 200 just over the Va border. Maybe we can meet up somewhere along the road, or campsite..... or, knowing my wife, cabin.

I have to laugh with my son on his Shadow, he does the same thing, forgets to turn it on. I usually wait for him down at the stop sign because he has to pull over, turn it on and restart. You would think as soon as it spit and sputtered the first time he would be quick enough to turn it on and keep going.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

us385south wrote:
Fritz_The_Cat wrote:
I've warmed up to it considerably. Might just keep her. She's lighter and nimbler than a Wing and more fun to ride local. Rode her to the mountains about a month ago and the Wing wins hands down in the comfort category on the highway. But the Valk has awesome power, more than the Wing by a good margin.

Wanna do the BRP before it gets too cold but I'm wondering if I could stand 600 miles of mostly Interstate in one day to get to the northern end.
Fritz...

I concur. I mostly ride the beast back and forth to work and around town. I often tell people I know the Wing is for heavy, long haul touring and the Valk is all about style points and attitude.

This is not to say I can't tour on the Valk, it's just meaner and a whole lot leaner. I have a standard dressed like a tourer, which only gives me a maximum range of about 140 miles, which is a real issue for me in the western states. Here in Texas, which is very well known ground for me... I am okay on the Valk. If I go anywhere else, I need the flexibility of the larger tank and the extra room of the Wing.

BRP... I did the Natchez Trace this last summer and completely loved it! I would LOVE to do the BRP, from end to end. We should put together a ride for some future summer... I am sure many others would hop on that band wagon.
Count me in. I'm always ready to ride. Especially in the mountains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
imported post

Count me in. I'm always ready to ride. Especially in the mountains.
DrifterTex and I have toyed around with the idea of running up The Natchez Trace, swinging over to the southern end of the BRP and running all the way to Shenandoah. Drifter is a big history fan so I know he'd love it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
imported post

I just rebuilt the petcock on my Valkyrie, and have not shut the gas off since. I have talked to others that have riden them for years and have never touched the petcock. The reason I rebuilt mine was I kept running out of fuel early. I think the main problem was strainer was crushed. Kawasaki Councours people always talked about HydroLock. I have owned 3 of them never shut the fuel off and never had a single issue. I rode a 1100 goldwing for many years and did not turn it off either. My thought is that maybe all the turning on and off may cause the thing to leak.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

us385south wrote:
Count me in. I'm always ready to ride. Especially in the mountains.
DrifterTex and I have toyed around with the idea of running up The Natchez Trace, swinging over to the southern end of the BRP and running all the way to Shenandoah. Drifter is a big history fan so I know he'd love it.
I've always wanted to do the Natchez Trace PW but the 726 miles to Natchez, MS has always made me look for an alternative ride. Let me know when you guys are going and I'll see if it's doable time and business wise. :action:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top