Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought an 82 interstate. Noticed the exhaust baffles have been removed and am concerned about possible damage to the engine. Any input

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Pick a few various speeds, say, cruise at 40, cut ignition quickly, pull over, pull plugs, look at color. Tan, or close to it, is the goal. Try this at 50, then 60, then 70. Any other good ideas? I may be wrong about the color, these days, what with the crap gas we get now. Was true when I used to hot-rod in 50's, 60's

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

i have a 1996 model 1500 with straight through fiberglass packed s/s mufflers,these coupled with a k & n air cleaner produced amazing results. the bike is so much smoother at all speeds. and the only draw back is it revs like a sports bike and hits the rev limiter now

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

WingLeader wrote:
I just bought an 82 interstate. Noticed the exhaust baffles have been removed and am concerned about possible damage to the engine. Any input
WingLeader, possible but not probable. Those earlier Wings were jetted pretty good from the factory so there was some leeway for a free flowing exhaust & a free unristrictedintake.

Just listen for any pinging or spark knock under load in hot conditions, if heard, either go up on gasoline octane rating or jet a little richer.

I'm not familiar with the early Wing jetting but on most of theother motorcycles I have added a freeier flowing exhaust toI have had to open the idle & low speed transition fuel jetting a little to compensate for the back pressure change.

If you have any stumbles or any popping as the throttle is cracked from an idle you are probably a little lean in the low speed department.

You could try a plug reading as Oregonwingersuggested but any more they run pretty white as the modern fuels burn quite clean. It will require new spark plugs installed before each run, then running ONLY at the RPM/engine load you are looking at, then a clean cut of the kill switch while holding the throttle steady at the throttle opening you are looking at. Any more, I only worry about wide open throttle (high speed) plug readings as that is where engine damage is the most likely. Poor or lean jetting in the lower RPM/ load ranges usually gives you poor running or stumbles, or popping but engine damage isn't likely there.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, WingLeader!:waving::waving:

If the plugs aren't looking like they've been overheated or carboned up, no pinging, forget about it! Unless you're really working them hard four strokes aren't all that picky about exhaust pressure changes like removing baffles or running staight pipes. Two strokes, that's a whole different ball game.!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.