Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Called Raber's in California to order three parts. I pair of britt made petcocks to fit a '72 bsa ugly gas tamk and a brake light switch to fit a 78 yamahaw. The switch was $3.25 and the petcocks were $40 each. I told my neighbor and he said I was an idiot. I told him that I am not an idiot! I'm a purist. I want genuine petcocks made by people who look like me but talk funny. We hung up.

Then I my phone rang and it was a good friend. He told me he just paid $230 for a 3' X3' welding table. Foldable, portable. Miller factory stuff. I've been welding stuff for fourty years. I've welding things on many different surfaces. For ten or more years I've been welding things on a table I built for $7.

Who's the purist and who's the idiot?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

......... Your rebuilding a bike in the middle of your Kitchen.......

There should be no question as to who the purist is...........

Edit: However I have to admit that hanging with the 2 ex's all the time does take you over to the other side from time to time.........:D

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I have always been amused by someone buying a welding table. If you need one, doesn't that mean thatyou have a welder??? Build your own for Pete's sake. Or, If you can't build a welding table maybe you shouldn't have welder.

;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Come on, there's no difference between a purist and and idiot. Do you have any idea how difficult it was for me to get a new left rear tail light lens for my '57 MGA back in 1962? All the American made ones had a different red than the English originals. It took me a couple months and a lot more money than I want to think about to get that lens. I could have gotten several sets of the American made ones for the price of one English one. Yep, no difference.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Yeh, a purist would never buy two off color lenses. One for each side.:shock: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

your neighbor :smiler:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I'm a chief Judge in Jaguar Concours competitions.

If you really want to know about purists, I deal with them all the time, as well as being one myself.

My MGB-GT on the other hand, is a car that I'm using to take a walk on the wild side. I'm doing a few non-stock things to it.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Hey you guys talk funny we've been around longer that you guys

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i buit my own welding table at the time it was just some junk iron laying around that i made it out of didnt cost me a dime sometimes making it yourself you suit it to you or what you want yeah the pre-fabbed one is fancy shiny and may be the "easier" way to go but im kinda the do it yourselfer lol

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

riffraff wrote:
Seems to me that purist is a nice way of saying anal.:?
It could be interpreted that way.

In my particular case, I'm a nationally-recognized judge at car shows where originality is as important as any other attribute. Down to the point that, if a particular screw is supposed to be Phillips or slotted, it makes all the difference.

From the motorcycle side, we have Bike and Dennis that always promotes using original Honda parts when / where possible. Even with consumables like fuel filters.

When it comes down to it - do you want off-colour lenses on your MGA? Not if you can help it. Do you really want cobbled exhaust mounts on your BSA? Not if you can help it. Unless you're intentionally going a different direction, many feel that stock (or exact-repro parts when necessary), are often the best route to keeping your beast looking it's best.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
I have always been amused by someone buying a welding table.  If you need one, doesn't that mean that you have a welder???  Build your own for Pete's sake.  Or, If you can't build a welding table maybe you shouldn't have welder.
HA! I was thinking the same thing!

and TOM,
FWIW.......

If these are the type of petcocks you bought, They're gonna leak - eventually.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

What's a welders table and what special features does it have? $230 for that small a table seems a bit high... Top of my pull behind trailer is larger thanthat ..To each there own...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.