Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

all this is odd.had to go to va hospital for xrays.about 180 miles round trip.going down was allright.but comeing home.about 50 miles from home running about 70.thought i blew motor.it sounded almost like exhaust gasket had blowed out.let off gas noise went away run about 65 no noise back up to about 70 it came back.so i run about 60 seen i needed some gas.got gas back on road again went to pass semi.about 70 it started to dance for me.got pulled over back tire flat.i dont know if that was where the noise was comming from.kinda of odd that i had noise sound like it was comming from front of engine but maybe not.when i got stoped and cleaned my pants out.started bike up reved it up to 5grand no engine noise.what sucks is it was brand new tire about 900 miles.called and got a trailer. what made me mad was i had one group of about 10 bikes then about 5 in a group no one stoped.one guy in a car stoped to see if i was allright.makes me mad as he$$ i will stop when i see anybody be on a bike or in car or truck just my nature to try to help..:shock::shock::shock:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi al good to see your ok as for the bikers my answer is like this if you go to pet an alligator expect to get bitten as thats what alligators do when it comes to human nature the skys the limit and were suposed to be the intelligent ones

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

All the more reason to (try to) be self sufficient. Not meaning to carry 2 spare tires but maybe 2 inner tubes to sneek in, in emergencys.

STILL, glad you're OK.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

krazy al wrote:
all this is odd.had to go to va hospital for xrays.about 180 miles round trip.going down was allright.but comeing home.about 50 miles from home running about 70.thought i blew motor.it sounded almost like exhaust gasket had blowed out.let off gas noise went away run about 65 no noise back up to about 70 it came back.so i run about 60 seen i needed some gas.got gas back on road again went to pass semi.about 70 it started to dance for me.got pulled over back tire flat.i dont know if that was where the noise was comming from.kinda of odd that i had noise sound like it was comming from front of engine but maybe not.when i got stoped and cleaned my pants out.started bike up reved it up to 5grand no engine noise.what sucks is it was brand new tire about 900 miles.called and got a trailer. what made me mad was i had one group of about 10 bikes then about 5 in a group no one stoped.one guy in a car stoped to see if i was allright.makes me mad as he$$ i will stop when i see anybody be on a bike or in car or truck just my nature to try to help..:shock::shock::shock:
Had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago. MY back tire had a good 2" cut going with the tread!!! Was 10 miles from home so just trailered it home.:X:X

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

FVM wrote:
All the more reason to (try to) be self sufficient. Not meaning to carry 2 spare tires but maybe 2 inner tubes to sneek in, in emergencys.

STILL, glad you're OK.
Hmmm, that tube thing is a good ideal. I guess that would have saved me with my split tire issue (posted above). Good advice!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

What is all that wave at you business ( oh cool man, I got a bike too ) when nobody stops to see what is up? Does every one think you have a cell phone nowadays? Happened to me in the middle of nowhere on a busy two lane (between Rockport and Port Lavaca, Tx) and a major get-a-way route for folks from Houston, and not one rider or cager stopped to offer help or see if they could do anything. Fortunately all ended well, not because of outside assistance, but like a lot of wing riders, we knew our bike well enough to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Not sure how universal this is, but I was told when I joined a old club that if you put your helmet on the ground, behind the bike, that was the signal to other riders you needed help.

I've stopped a few times, every time they were just lost, or just taking a breather.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

AHHHH, this reminds me of a time I was broke down in the south (USA). It'stwounrelated stories, their just similarincidences that want to go together. Back in the 1970's I had a habitof riding 24+ hourstodo as many miles under the belt. (I wish to not offend anyonebymy descriptions of people, it was that era. If I was to use today's language, these short stories would only be diminished. Thesereally happened)

___ I'm out of gas & needed only a small amount, the next town was about10 miles away and hilly. Myproblem was 5-fold. It was mid 1970's,way after dusk,I'm on a bike,in Mississippi, on a back road andit was D.A.R.K.! . . . OK-ok, 6 fold. No-no 7-fold, I wearing jeans & a black shirt.

ANYWAYS... NO ONE (in their right mind) would stopto help even though I tried the usual ''need help'' signs. But one sign I found outseems universal. I got down on one knee andover my head I made like Iwas "breaking a stick". The next car that came by stopped. Itwasa '59 or '60 Pontiac Chieftain driven by an older grey haired black gent.Heknew exactly what I meant. With his fingerpointing at me and a smile,he said, "Don't tell me, you're broke down". I said I needed just a quart of gas. So from histrunk came a 5th of fuel in a well wornJack Danielsbottle. Quaint, real quaint, it was like a scene from a movie.I pulled out my wallet to paybut he didn't want any money. "What comes around, goes around" he said.I still thank you sir, for that help.
(Yes it was real gas :cool:)

___ Couple years later I was able to repay that one. Again I was riding an all night'r & it was around 1 AM in the south, no moon,no clouds. Almost bright enough to ride without a headlight, kind of nights.Cresting one of the manyhills & passed a '62 Grand Prix on the side of the road & a guy standing in front,I turned around.When I rode up with my light on their car all I saw wasa black family of 3,all withbug-eyes of white and frozen stiff just staring at me. I asked if I could help, the man just pointed, so I looked. I said try the key, nothing. twisted the battery cable on the post tight & said try again, verOOm. The man got out of his car & reached in his pocket, I guess for money, I immediately put up my hands up waving saying ''No no, I helped one of you folks two years ago and I'm happy to return the favor.''YUP!A white skittish smile with a nod I got fromhim and from her I got a small cautious kind of awave. I smiled& left feeling good.

After leavingit dawned on me, not one of them spoke the whole time. Sure felt good to help those in need,even back then in that area andtroubled times.

Every time I reminisce about my helpful times, I can't help but think,

"First came Floyd,... then came Bronson."

Just gotta remake that show, but this time with a GoldWing. :action:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

CALEBNDAD wrote:
FVM wrote:
...carry 2 spare tires but maybe 2 inner tubes to sneek in, in emergencys.
STILL, glad you're OK.
Hmmm, that tube thing is a good ideal. I guess that would have saved me with my split tire issue (posted above). Good advice!
By all means use a tube when possible. Ride a safe pace andslow, neverknow if it'll blow. My "X" pops-in-law did the same thing but used two inner tubes. Sliced one open and slipped the good one inside the other.

He had his 3 reasons, a growing family of 3. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Whenever I see a bike on the side of the road, I'll always stop (or at least slow down) to ask if they're OK.

A month or so ago I was driving home, and saw a very rough, scary-looking, tattoo-covered (including his bald head) guy on the side of I-71, kneeling next to his older Harley. I slowed down, and saw him trying to do something with its chain, so I pulled over.

Someone had lost a sweatshirt on the highway, and he had the poor fortune to run over it, and have it go up into the rear chain sprocket, winding around a few times until it had locked the rear tire, giving this guy an entertaining ride as he tried to maneuver to the side of the highway.

Despite his scary appearance, he was very nice and polite. He was vainly trying to rotate the wheel backwards and pull this shredded sweatshirt from around the sprocket and axle at the same time. I got a knife out of my truck and started cutting as he pulled and turned the wheel. After about ten minutes of work, we were both covered in chain grease, but we managed to get it free, and the bike was roadable once again. He thanked me, jumped on, and waved as he road off.

I would hope that if I were stranded on the side of the road, someone would do the same for me.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

Hats off to those who help any stranded motorist in a cage or on a bike.

It was20 or so years ago in east central Wisconsin when my brother lost air in the front tire of his Kawasaki KZ900, went into a tankslapper, and laid down his bike at about 60 mph. Hes was pretty rashed up and bloody, but could walk. He stood on the shoulder for about 15 minutes and no cages would stop.A biker on a Harley stopped, had his girl get off and staywith the wrecked bike while he rode my brother to a hospital 10 miles away, and call the police. He droppedMike off, and went back and collected his passenger, helped the wrecker load up the bike, and he told the police what happened and where to find my brother. All my brother ever knew was his firstname was Tim.

Thanks Tim !!!! Bikers need to stick together regardless of who make their ride!!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,999 Posts
imported post

CALEBNDAD wrote:
Had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago. MY back tire had a good 2" cut going with the tread!!! Was 10 miles from home so just trailered it home.:X:X

Hi Calebndad,

Curiosity makes me ask. Whatbrand and modelof tire you had split on you?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
CALEBNDAD wrote:

Hi Calebndad,
Sorry, I should have clarified that I did hit a small object in the road that caused it to cut. But, the tires where Dunlop Ellites with 1/2 tread. Acutally, I was not aware that I had a flat untill the bike started wagging in the back. The tire was in the back as well. Thanks...
Curiosity makes me ask. Whatbrand and modelof tire you had split on you?

Sorry, I should have clarified that I did hit a small object in the road that caused it to cut. But, the tires where Dunlop Ellites with 1/2 tread. Acutally, I was not aware that I had a flat untill the bike started wagging in the back. The tire was in the back as well. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

mine was dunlop 404 got wheel off found the hole looks like maybe a small bolt.pissed that tire had around 900 -1000 miles.well it will make a great tire swing for my pitbull.:D:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.