Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
imported post

Hi Fireman,

What you describe sounds like a clutch issue but I can't imagine the clutch failing from a quick take off. I've hammered my 12 thousands of times, (litterally) and with 247 thousand on the odometerthe clutch isjust starting to show wear.

It may be that the hammering just glazed the plates a little and the clutch will recover. An oil change may help if that is the problem.

I certainly wouldn't get too freaked out, too soon. 'Wings are tough.

imported post

Electro_cat wrote:
Also I run the highest octane gas I can get. Cuz there bikes are made to run that not the cheap stuf
87 Octane is what Mother Honda specifies. :cool:

Discussion starter · #24 ·
imported post

UPDATE:
I finally got off work tonight and took my sick babe for a ride.. The bike not the Wife.

It is running like ****! Ther is the clutch rattle but am not sure it is the clutch that is the problem. The bike idles rough and on city streets at 25-30 mph or less there is a terrible skipping and hesitation. It has a pause and rough hesitation between 1st and second gear like it cant decide to keep runniong or throttle up.

Once I get up to speed on the interstate it seams to smooth out and run fin until ai slow down on a ramp and then it starts the crap again.

As for the clutch and noise at idle, it sounds like a rattle trap until I give it some gas. It isnt shaking as bad on take off except the spitting and sputtering. I think I lost sinc and posibly out of yune in a major way.

It runs good enough to go but not smooth at all. I just dont think it is clutch now or at least not only the clutch but an engine or carb problem.

Answers to some asked questions above:

Agnol, I am certain I am getting it in first gear unless it is mechanically screwed up and not allowing me to do so. But it feels normal to me.

As far as the oil change, I can see where I need to do it and check for particals. That is a good point and I need to change it anyway so I will check that closely. I use none of that energy conserving oil and only Non detergent
oil so that is no problem. And I am going to run sea foam for a short while before the change.

As for drive train service, I havent had it done yet but it was in the plans in a week or so due to a bearing tick in the rear. So many things so little time.

Thanks all!

imported post

I had an 80' 1100 and I had sort of the samme "jumpy" start with the clutch. I can't remember if it was a cable stretched out of adjustment for sure, but seems to me that was the culprit. Just a thought. Don't sit around the station gettin an ulcer! I'll bet it's something simple. These wings are darned near bulletproof. Have a nice shift, and be safe. Wish I was there with you, I miss being at the station with the crew. I retired in 1983. jimsjinx OOPS! just realized he doesn't have a clutch cable. DUH. Still think it's something simple, though. jimsjinx

Discussion starter · #27 ·
imported post

Thanks Jim, I am going to take a week at the beach starting in the morning to de stress over it. Great to hear from fellow Firefighters on here. I can retire in about 4 years and I am sure I will miss the guys and the work as well but I am counting on my Wing to take my mind off it! Thanks Jim

GS, That is a very good point and I will definitaly chaeck that, as I need to change the belts anyway. I just planned on doing all this stuff this winter but I might have to hit it sooner. My plans were to change out vacume lines, plugs, belts, moly in the rear end, bearings, rear tire, filters, oil etc this winter. Oh well. Thanks!

imported post

ThFireman,

I'm not going to miss the fire department... I am trying to figure out a way to make Dec 30, 09 my last day.

I am fed up with the politics...

imported post

did you just get gas you may have picked up some water. my bike did the samething low speed it backfired and missed but at speed it ran great? just throwing out and idea.

imported post

Can you give us some background on your 1500? Have you had it awhile or did you get it recently? Have you done anything maintenance wise recently such as rear tire, disc pads etc.
Change the oil, change the rear drive oil while you are at it. Check your clutch lever action, is it soft?

imported post

Maybe those sounds were your wife screaming and banging your helmet. ;) maybe she needs a vacation too.

imported post

I miss the job and the guys more than the BS for sure there John. Working for the city no matter what city means you have to put up with the nonsense.

I had the same type of issues with water in the gas here while back. I changed the fuel filter and ran a tank or two of sea foam and it went away. I also synced the carbs during this same time and before I did so, thought I had a bad motor and was worried the same way you are right now.

Take your time and do the things advised and I bet you will find it to be something simple to fix it. Best of luck with it and relax on that beach.......... not sure what your shifts are like but if your's are like mine used to be, it only took 2 to make a week so enjoy it before it's over!!

Discussion starter · #34 ·
imported post

Wow so many responses and all have fantastic ideas and I will try them all. Yes I did just get fuel and now that I think of it they were out of low grade regular so I put in premium.. I know better.

I have had my bike since March of this year and I have chased demons eversince. Just little things like burnt fuses, dead battery, starter and junk like that. Never kept me from riding though.

AZ and Cntryboy, I really enjoy my job being with all my second family and the experiences both joyful and sorriful. But like most the politics and the eatup cowboys are killing me. And not to mention my body has taken a beating. Couple of fire truck crashes, ceiling collapse and a few "Slip,Trips or Falls all make it a tough career for me but I wouldnt trade a second of it. Good luck all you Firefighters out there.

As for my wife banging on my helmet... well there is no cure for that, she has a back rest and she just wont slide off no matter how hard I ride, LOL.

I will take my puter to the beach so I can keep up with the posting here.

imported post

skoto1 wrote:
did you just get gas you may have picked up some water. my bike did the samething low speed it backfired and missed but at speed it ran great? just throwing out and idea.
Good point. It reminded me that I also had this kind of problem with my 95 after gunning it to avoid a dog in the road. Got on it pretty hard and it ran pretty bad afterward. Took it by the dealer (a good one) and he told me that I had probably sucked some bad gas or junk from the bottom of the carb bowls. I ran some Seafoam through it and it cleared up. He also told me to occassionally "really get on it" - almost redline it -when I was leaving town for a ride. This sucks the gas from the bottom of the bowls and helps keep them cleaned out. I don't know how accurate this is, but I trust him - I do it occassionally - and I have not had a problem like that since.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
imported post

Well I am an official Beach Bum now so I am connected and can keep up with all my Winger Buds. Thanks for all the suggestions and when I get hom I will start working on it.

By the way, The weather is great here and I wish I could have brought my bike this time but it only Rides 2 and we have 4 here. It is 82 degrees and partly sunny with a outgoing tide. Fishing tomorrow and eating when possible.

See Ya online!

Discussion starter · #38 ·
imported post

UPDATE:

Well I got back from the beach and decided to start with the basics. I started the bike up and it ran like tee totla crap! Couldnt keep it idling even after warm. I still had 1/2 tank of fuel so I went all out and dumped 3/4 can of sea foam in there. I took it for a high reving ride on the surface streets and then on the interstate. Every chance I had I took the RPMs high into the red then to the next gear, cruised at 4500 RPM up down all around. I finally ran the tank near dry and refilled it with clean low test fuel and drove it 15 miles.

Bottom line is that I can now idle at 900 RPM and no stalling, and the bike takes off much smoother and with plenty of pick up. In short it is 90% better. I am going to replace the plugs and run another tank of sea foam. then we will see.

I think you all were right, I think I must have dislodged some crud into the jets and junk.

I will continue to check things out and make improvements. Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

imported post

Wouldn't hurt to go ahead and put a new fuel filter in while your doing some changes.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
imported post

Your 100% correct, I am going to do that. I shined a light through it and I can see cap in there so it is going to be replaced pronto. Thanks for knocking that into my brain. I also shined a light in my tank and I dont see any junk in there and no rust at all. So I think I am OK there.:clapper:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.