Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Actually this one followed me home yesterday.

It's a 1983 Yamaha Venture 1200cc. Not really something I would normally buy, but I have a friend who is a Yammie guy. I knew he would want it for the price I paid. Last spring I rode with him to the southern end of the state to buy an old GW when he got frustrated looking for a Venture.

I called him to let him know what I bought, and this afternoon made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

No money involved. We swapped one for the other. :action:

I'll take better photos tomorrow when the sun is out.

One more thing...

I now officially need a bigger garage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Ha ha, way to go. :claps:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I used to have the retail poster of one of those hanging on my wall in the early 80's. I thought they were sweet. :cheesygrin:

John

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Those Ventures were neat bikes. That is where the original V-Max motor came from. Imagine if they had put a non detuned V-Max motor in one. Unfortunately they gave up on the Venture way too soon, and now parts are next to impossible to get. Aside from the V-Max, which used a seriously tuned version of that motor in a lightweight chassis, and quickly became the King Kong of cruisers, they also used it in the Royal Star, where it was so badly detuned that a Harley EVO air cooled twin easily beat it. And it is a liquid cooled four overhead cam 4 carb V4. Yamaha still makes the Royal Star, I wonder if it still has the power of a moped.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

And just think, you could have bought three goldwings last week. :)

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I'm glad you didn't keep the Yammie.

I have to say - to the uninitiated, they're the Ugliest design short of a Victory Vision. You have to be an enthusiast to love it.

That said, your Nighthawk on the other hand looks like stupid-simple fun on wheels.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Hey! I like the looks of the Victory Vision. Darned big fairing on 'em. Am not as keen on looks of the Yammie Venture (tiny saddlebags!), but would love to drive one.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I'm glad you didn't keep the Yammie.

I have to say - to the uninitiated, they're the Ugliest design short of a Victory Vision. You have to be an enthusiast to love it.

That said, your Nighthawk on the other hand looks like stupid-simple fun on wheels.
I like the looks of the Vision. I plan to own one someday. Like everything else, it has to go through three or four other owners first. :smiler:

The NightHawk is a fun bike, but for me it is a 20 mile bike. After that my back and shoulders start to ache.

I'm not sure why I don't like the Ventures. I don't mind the looks of it.I like the new ones. This one belongs to the guy who now owns theblue one.

I guess I just looked at it way back when as a poor man's Goldwing. For all I know they could have sold for more.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

Power got increased in '99 when the Royal Star Venture came out. 1300cc..100hp @ the crank. Somewhere's around 80 on the ground. No way it'll stay with an 1800 Wing. Moves along OK tho.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Pictures, as promised.

Running boards and heel and toe will be the first to go.

As you can see, it is missing the right front vent. The PO has purchased two of them, but each that arrived was for the left side. In each case, the ebay vendors response was, NO RETURNS.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Very nice wing!!! Love that color combo.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

mike how many wings you have?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

How many miles on it? They look nice.

Do you have to have the heel to toe shifter in order to have the board on? Can you still shift it normally with the left board? The right one doesn't look like it would interfere with the braking at all.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I always liked the old Ventures, if one would have come along before the wing I'd probably be hanging out on the early venture forum instead of here :) Thought they ruined them when they turned them into cruisers.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
I always liked the old Ventures,...... Thought they ruined them when they turned them into cruisers.
+1. I've never been much of a cruiser fan, but we are outnumbered on that, based on the demand for cruiser style bikes. Cruisers and sport bikesare the top 2 sellers in the US.

John

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Gordo923 wrote:
mike how many wings you have?
only two, this and my sidecar bike.

for now.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

jobe05 wrote:

Do you have to have the heel to toe shifter in order to have the board on? Can you still shift it normally with the left board? The right one doesn't look like it would interfere with the braking at all.
The heel and toe is there, but the rubber pads are missing.If I were to put a sidecar on, I'd keep the boards, but on two wheels I prefer pegs.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Thers one on my local Craigs list for 700 bucks with a spares bike but ive not got 700 bucks

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Oops, missed this. It has 77,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.